Red Birds:Cofusion and arguing:

One I don't use Wikipedia, anybody can post what they want on there and most is incorrect.

I could pull out some books and information that I have on this situation, but if I remember right those school/ collage book on Horticulture and Livestock Breeding and Nutrition are going to say much the same that I already did. 

Also don't forget a meaning in the U.K. is much different that the in the U.S. and your on a U.S. site.

A hybrid? Yes.
A hybrid layer? No.

. You know we are talking about hybrid layers,not just hybrids

Last edited by a moderator:
I still,even after all the these thoughts,think the Production red is a Hybrid.I am confused a bit.So some are,some are not?

Well it does because 1 breed of chicken is not a different species to another.

Post # 12

If it has only two parent breeds it is just a cross breed, but if one of its parents or even both are cross breeds then it is a hybrid. It needs 3 different parental breeds or more to be a hybrid

Which definition do you want to use?
If you pick the biology definition were all incorrect
If you pick the general definition were all correct.

No. I am choosing the term hybrid which is used in poultry Lexis which is neither of those. It is the one which states three or more parental breeds are needed for a hybri

But it go's back to what I said earlier Hybrid in the U.K. means on thing,

Hybrid in the U.S. means another.

I was just scrolling threw some threads,researching,etc seeing what others have to say about the red birds( As in,Red sex link,Production red,Rhode Island red,Newhampshire.)I am making a thread on this to stop arguing and set things straight.
Begging the arguers to please STOP!

I should probably start off with the way the Hybrids were created.
1 of the most Common Sex links are the Red sex link,short for which many call,the Golden Nugget,Red star,Cinnamon Queen,Golden Comet,Golden Sex Link etc.
The Production red is another Hybrid that is almost mistaken for the Rhode Island Red.
The Production red is mainly ALL Rhode island Red,which may explain the reason many people call it the,Production RIR.And the PR is more seen as a RIR,just lighter colored.They lay X/large brown eggs.Many use the breed for "Pure" egg production,mainly because the RIR is listed,a number 1 egg layer.Leghorns I do believe were added to the Production Red to increase egg production.
Production reds occasionly will sometimes have stray white tail feathers,or even a few white specks on the neck.
A Production hen may weigh up to 7 POUNDS,a pullet will average at,6 POUNDS,the cockeral will average about 8 POUNDS,while the rooster bays at 9 POUNDS!Incredible weights!A production red will lay up to 200 to 280 eggs per year.

Hybrids(Sexlinks),are the only birds that can be sexed at birth.Mainly because it has something indicating male from female.Like most breeds,the red birds have atleast 1 simple thing to depart them from another red bird.Red sex links are white(Specks) with a orange reddish brownish mixed coloring on them.You have to actually know weather your Sex links are laying the brown eggs or the Production red is.Red sexlinks do not all lay X/large eggs.Most times,their not even dark eggs,maybe ranging a light brown or almost a lightish darkish brown egg.This breed will start laying earlier and mature faster then most standard breeds.A Red sexlink hen can average from 5-6 pounds,a pullet can weigh,51/2 pounds,a cockeral weighs 71/2 pounds,while the rooster bays at,7-8 pounds,WOW!
We should talk about the red sexlink rooster.What is so interesting about this guys breed is,the rooster isn't indentifeid as the hen is (Brown reddish orangish,with white specks all over.).The rooster has his own style,He has brown on his back,and white everyelse,and possibly black on his wings.

Thanks for reading the Hybrids section!

Maybe we should start on with Newhampshire.The "Proper" and mostly correct way to say this breed is,New Hampshire,no RED!It was bred with the RIR blood lines ONLY.They rapid feather,and mature fastly.They are also becoming famous across the world because of their egg production,and characteristics.They lay nice sized brown eggs.

Most of these breeds are bad about brooding,but I have only had the red sex link brood on me,and that was when she was I guess you could say,a teen.Good luck with the Red Bird OWNERS!

Eggmachine11, You created this thread for information and NOT arguing. If you feel that someone is being argumentative, please push the REPORT button so that a moderator can come and clean out the arguers. I would hate to see this thread closed because some people can't remember what the rules are here.

Back
Top Bottom