Red Blob - Hermeroid?

jhardi95616

Hatching
11 Years
Jun 21, 2008
Hi there!
My Leghorn Hen has a 1/2 dollar sized red blob coming out of where she lays eggs. It looks like a hemeroid. She is up and walking around.

What should I do? What is that thing!

Any help, advice would be appreciated!

Jason

I would isolate her, warm bath in sink, lube with a little Vaseline or baby oil or veg oil, put in darkened cage, then do a search here. Prolapse?

Thanks Dawn!
I just read the thread and now know what it is....a prolapse.
I'm going to bath in warm water, clean the area and then use honey to get it go back inside.

Here goes!

I'll keep you all posted on how it goes.

Jason

SUCCESS!
At least I think so!

I fill a small green wheel barrow (cleaned it first) with warm soapy water (soap to clean and kill bacteria).

Then I put my hen (Gabby is her name) in the water (SHE LIKED IT!). With rubber gloves on, I gently cleaned her underside and private parts with warm soapy water. Then I put honey on my fingers (on the rubber gloves) and rubbed it all over the hermeroid. Then I helped push it back in. I held it in place this was and WALLA! It stayed inside! I held it for quite a while and it seemed to stay inside. Anyway, I put her in a warm sunny spot so she could dry out. I think it worked! I'll continue to monitor.

Don't worry if it comes back out tomorrow. Just keep pushing it back in until it stays in. I had a hen that took 4 days before she was safe to go back in with her buddies. A friend of mine had one that took 2 weeks.

I would keep her isolated and in a dark place sometimes that helps so they won't lay again right away and can heal.

Thanks everyone!

Yep, your right. The darn thing came back out again. I put my gloves back on, lathered them with honey and pushed the thing back in again! I had a talk with my hen about keeping it in too. I'm not sure she listened. I kind of think she likes the attention. I can't beleive I'm doing this!

I'll keep you posted.

As she heals less and less will come out. It's not a bad idea to put her on an antibiotic too. Just a mild one, like terramyacin. It'll keep it from getting infected. It should say on the package how long to treat, but if it doesn't treat for one full weak. And be sure to keep her away from other chickens like tuffoldhen said! Her buddies will quickly cannibalize her.

Back
Top Bottom