1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Red bulbs -- why can I only find 25w or 250w?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Lucy4, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Lucy4

Lucy4 Chillin' With My Peeps

I haven't been heating my coop (small: 4 x 4... maybe 5 feet in height). But since it's supposedly going down to 0 degrees tonight, I thought I'd put a low wattage red bulb in there. But in that color I can only find 250 watt bulbs (way too high) or 25 watt bulbs (which wouldn't add any heat really... would it?) Where can I find a 75 watt bulb? Home Depot, Walmart, and my local hardware shop don't sell them. Is there a place online someone could recommend?

Thanks.

2. france

france Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    North East
    I am in the same situation today. I was going to try petco later.

3. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I would suggest a pet store , I think the bulbs are in the reptile section but be prepared to pay a hefty price there.

Just checked Petco online and they have several varieties of heat lamps 50-75 watt bulbs start at $14.99 [​IMG] Its sad considering I pay $3 for a 250 watt infared bulb at fleet farm here

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  4. featherbaby

featherbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL 32210
    I tried both kinds of bulbs. The problem is, you can't regulate the heat. SO, I bought a little fan forced air heater with a thermostat (about $20), hung it up just high enough they couldn't get on top of it and it has held my coop temp steady at 60 even though it went down to 30 last night. There is a guard on the front that would prevent them from touching an element. If you find one that's too close to the front, just put a cylinder of hardware cloth around the whole thing,. Mine is only about 8x12x4" . Problem solved.

5. kdcrws

kdcrws Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    L.C. FL
    Lowes has them

6. Lucy4

Lucy4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks, all. Will check out Petco later. I don't know about the forced air heater in a coop so small? But I'll ask.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I once also found a 40 watt red, but they are very unusual. A friend and customer once brought me a red reptile bulb, a 150 watt--perfect! I need another one so a petstore is the best place for those, I believe. I have a 60 watt red reptile bulb that I keep on my crippled BR rooster all winter long.

8. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    PetsMart has the infared 50W and higher in their reptile section. Prices start at $11.50 USD here.

9. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    We get 100 and 150 watt ones at our hardware store. They are with the regular lightbulbs on the bottom shelf..used for spotlights.

10. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    40watt bulbs are easy to find. They are sold as party bulbs in a variety of colors and at a lot of stores that have a wide range of products. 40watts won't really give you any heat though. It only raises my indoor brooder a degree or 2. If you want something that will produce a noticeable amount of heat you have to go look at reptile bulbs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by