Red Bulbs?

if the wattage is equal then the heat out put will be equal
but the heat will be 1 of 2 types convection heat or infrared....

convection: the heat the light bulb gives off heating the air around it.

infrared: the heat given off that is directional and is sensed on surfaces and not the air. if a infrared light is pointed at a object that object will increase in temperature give off heat and heat the air around it.

a light buld is just light buld .red , clear , frosted ect
is made the same mainly to produce light and not heat there
are better bulbs to use if you want heat. but if a light buld is used a aluminum reflector sholud be used to direct the heat.

a spot or flood light is a little better idea it has a built in reflector and does a better job of directing its heat, but is still made to give off mainly light

a heat lamp is a light buld the is designed to put off heat and light the red heat lamp we all know about puts off a great deal of infrared heat with less light so it becomes a good choice to keep warm by but a poor choice to read by...

heat lamps also come in white or clear but its infrared heat is reduced slightly to produce a better light

wow sorry that got long winded...
can you tell what i do for a living...

That was informative. I have used the 250 watt infrared and the 100 watt red bulb that is shaped like a spotlight bulb only smaller, depending on how much heat I needed.

Right now I have chicks a month old in a large brooder in my coop. At one end is the 250 watt infrared and the other end is the 100 watt red bulb. They have done well with that setup.

www.shopthecoop.com has a good article on infrared bulbs and their benefits.

Back
Top Bottom