Red Butt

bumpercarr

Songster
7 Years
Aug 29, 2012
Tularosa, New Mexico
I was running late tonight when I closed the chickens up for the night. I noticed that the rooster has a red butt, scaly looking...almost like a bad diaper rash. Could it be that he is getting too much "leftovers"? I changed the entire flock over to growers feed while the chicks were growing up, so possibly a lack of calcium (they still get lots and lots of egg shells because the chicks don't want them.) If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate the advice. He is eating, mating and otherwise acting perfectly normal. I've read a lot on her about hens with red butts, but couldn't find anything about roosters. Thanks in advance for the help! If needed, I can try to get some pictures tomorrow night after they go to bed.

I was running late tonight when I closed the chickens up for the night. I noticed that the rooster has a red butt, scaly looking...almost like a bad diaper rash. Could it be that he is getting too much "leftovers"? I changed the entire flock over to growers feed while the chicks were growing up, so possibly a lack of calcium (they still get lots and lots of egg shells because the chicks don't want them.) If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate the advice. He is eating, mating and otherwise acting perfectly normal. I've read a lot on her about hens with red butts, but couldn't find anything about roosters. Thanks in advance for the help! If needed, I can try to get some pictures tomorrow night after they go to bed.

Hello,it sounds like fowl mites. This type of mite you will need to dust individual birds. This mite moves quickley and can crawl up your arms. So check them over closely to see if that is the problem.

Hello,it sounds like fowl mites. This type of mite you will need to dust individual birds. This mite moves quickley and can crawl up your arms. So check them over closely to see if that is the problem.
Thanks for the reply. I checked all of the birds last night because that was my first thought. I didn't see any mites at all. I'm pretty good about dusting everything and I put DE in their dusting areas each week to ensure that they stay critter free. I will dust the birds today just in case. Any other ideas?

I heard that bathing the sore area in an epsom salt bath helps reduce the inflammation quickly and then helps the skin heal, but i have had no experience of this myself.

If it is like diaper rash why not try some Desitin if you can use it on a chicken (I don't know if you can or can't). I always liked it better than A & D Ointment. There is also something we had in Michigan when growing up called DiaperX that worked better than anything around.

Back
Top Bottom