Red-faced, head-flicking Orpington

KirstenJL

Songster
9 Years
Jan 17, 2011
Central Ohio
I have a 13-week old buff Orpington pullet who has had a reddened face and has been constantly flicking her head and making a sort of low-pitched clucking growling noise for about a week. She seems otherwise healthy, is eating, drinking, preening and is just as active as her other 5 coopmates. Her face is evenly red (like an adult hen), but her comb and wattles are small--I don't think she's a surprise roo. I'm a newbie to keeping chickens; I live in north-central Ohio where it's been very cold since they've been put outside. They sleep huddled tight in a corner on the floor and I've let them do it because it's so cold. They have a 6 x 8 unheated, but well-insulated coop and don't act like they're cold, but they refuse to go outside in the snow so have been spending all their time in the coop. Any ideas?

Redness is probably just from the hen maturing. And with the head shaking and the noise is probably it sneezing.

I was thinking the same thing about the redness. And the vocalizations seem fairly normal to me too--just different from the rest of the birds (they're all the same age). She's definitely not sneezing. Watched for a long time this morning and thought it might be irritation from the cold, so I put some Vaseline on her. Of course now she's even more offended!

Back
Top Bottom