Red Golden Chick - Roo or Hen

oleduke

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 4, 2008
WV
This is one of six Red Golden chicks that I hatched this year, and I wanted to see if the experts can help me sex it. I call it peepers because that is all it does. So, what do you think; male, female, or to young to tell?

106.jpg

107.jpg

108.jpg

Thanks.

I need to find out myself. I started hatching in January, & finally finished this morning. I took off to my cousins house, while my DW stayed home & dissasembled the incubator. I called her & told her to stop, but I was too late. She re-assembled it again, because I brought home 65 peafowl, & 68 Red Golden pheasant eggs. Here we go again! My cousin knows I'm a sucker for birds. That'll make a great addition to the other 100 plus birds I already have.

I was looking for that topic but I couldn't find it; Thanks bandbaustin. However, it still only helps me when they are around 6 months of age or so. By that age I can tell the difference. I will try to post more updated pictures ASAP but for now can anyone confirm this: are all of them born with a blue eye and then change to match their sex albeit roo or hen?

The reason I ask that question is because all 6 of these were born with blue eyes, and since this is the 1st year I am keeping what I hatched it never mattered to me what eye color they had as chicks. I have now noticed 2 that have a slight brown beginning to show around the iris while the other 4 remain the same steadfast blue.

Sorry to ask again but do the hens turn brown as they age? We all know the roo's change to Gold as they mature. I know time will tell me for sure but I was just wondering.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom