Red golden hen laying early

Momlovesgoldens

Hatching
5 Years
Dec 29, 2014
Anyone know why a red golden pheasant hen would be laying eggs this time of year as opposed to spring? I do have the cocks in the same aviary as the hens. The hen laid a dozen eggs. I candled them after 7 days and they were all fertile. So far, I have had 5 eggs hatch, with 5 more in the incubator. One died in the shell. I miscalculated the incubation period and opened one egg...big mistake. The embryo was still alive so I placed it back in the incubator but it died as well. Also, my wife is looking for grey peacock pheasants. Anyone know a source? Thanks in advance!

I don't have any pheasants, but my mourning dove laid in December because I had more lighting around her cage (my LED Christmas lights were on all the time). I didn't think she would at all because her cage-mate had passed away in October, but I think it was just a fluke in her system. Adding in factors like the lighting and having her in a larger, more comfortable indoor cage must have affected her. Assuming your red goldens had enough lighting, I imagine that would be the cause. Either way, I'm glad you've had a decent hatch so far!

Has she laid any eggs since? I'm asking anyone and everyone if they have any red golden pheasant hatching eggs available. I'm in dire need of several to hatch for my great uncle. If not, no problem. I was just curious.
smile.png

I am just guessing you probably have lighting in your enclosure. The amount of day light is what triggers then to start laying in spring. Also where are you located.

I'm in Maine. I use a heat lamp and I turn it on when it gets dark and shut it off around 9 p.m. I did the same thing last year and the hens laid in the spring as normal. Only one of the hens laid eggs this winter. The other two have not. I know this because I have found the one hen in a nest box several times. Also, my first chick that hatched seems to have misshaped toes on the left foot. I thought it would be a problem but it seems to have adapted quite well. Two days ago I had another chick hatch with the same problem and it seems to be favoring it's left leg. It is eating and drinking normally so right now I'm hoping that it grows out of it. That's two birds out of 6 so far. I have my fingers crossed. :)

I have a heat lamp that I turn on when it gets dark. It stays on until around 9 p.m. then it gets shut off. I leave it on all night if it gets really cold, which it has done several times so far this winter. It gets pretty cold in the Pine Tree State. The other morning it was -15 degrees. On really cold nights I move them to the garage which tends to stay warmer than their bird house.

As to the egg question, I have two eggs but I'm not sure which hen laid them since I didn't see them. I have the hens banded with different colors to differentiate between the three. I usually don't candle until day 7 (its day 3 and 2 respectively) so I don't know if they are fertile. I have three others but one has pipped today and the other two should be pipping any day now. I have 6 chicks, but two have misshaped toes on one foot so most likely they will not sell, but the rest will, I hate to let them go but I just don't have the room for 16 red goldens.

I still think it is the lights causing them to lay eggs this time of year and also they are fertile which means the male is doing his job also. The crooked toes is said to be caused by inbreeding. Your birds may not lay eggs or be fertile this spring. I am just trying to help not trying to be critical.

Golden pheasants are cold hardy. Mine are fine on the winter without heat. They just have a shelter to get out of the wind which they do not normally use. They are a lot hardier than we think. Even my grey peacock pheasants are not on heat but they are in an inside area. Crooked toes in peafowl can be fixed with shoes in which you wrap tape around their foot. Lay their toes on the tape correctly and fold it over. I have my peachicks wear the shoes for a day or two and then remove them. However it must be done as soon as possible.

I've got a 2014 grey peacock male I would sell.Asking 125.00 for him.I also have lewis silvers 225.00 pr,red golden 40.00 pr,yellow golden males 20.00 ea.All birds are winter hardy even the peacock pheasant.He does need to be in a covered pen,but needs no heat.
In N.H.,Tony.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom