Red Laced Cornish X and project talk (pics p. 8)

yay! Wish I was the recipient! :) A whole year, gotta wait a year...
I've still got plenty more.

I have two pairs of young black laced birds that i think are tremendous. These pullets, finally-- are as big as the cockerels-- which is a rarity with this line of birds. Pretty much sold all the mature black laced birds, think I kept one pair of older ones for backup. I'll prob butcher the smaller of the two young cockerels- and use the best one for breeding next year. Trying to make as much genetic progress as I can with these birds.

Have a whole slew of Blue laced young birds-- looks like I've finally got some pullets in there, since last year was 100% cockerel hatchings. I'll probably keep all the pullets, and the best cockerel or two. Sold the old bird (sire of this year's blues) to my buddy. We'll see how these cockerels grow out- which historicall isn't as muscular as I want them to be. If I do end up with a stout one- I might sell that last remaining old pair of Black laced. If not, I might put my dark hens in with the blue laced cockerel to add some meat and bone. We'll see.

Have a bunch of white chicks, most aren't big enough to really sex yet. Will end up keeping all of them to build around in the future. Bright looking young batch they are.

Finally got a replacement Dark cockerel too, since I didn't have much hatch from them this year. Found the old cock floating in a watertank early into breeding season. Think I ended up with one pullet and one cockerel from the darks. Just goes to prove, no matter how bad you want to let them out-- don't let anything out that you can't afford to lose!

Also, have three Brahma chicks from big med's eggs I bought this spring. Sure didnt' expect them, but they/re coming on nicely-- and can't tell what we have yet-- but they'll remain. Boss thinks they are neat with feathered legs. Have two blue laced, and a black laced.

I've still got plenty more.

I have two pairs of young black laced birds that i think are tremendous. These pullets, finally-- are as big as the cockerels-- which is a rarity with this line of birds. Pretty much sold all the mature black laced birds, think I kept one pair of older ones for backup. I'll prob butcher the smaller of the two young cockerels- and use the best one for breeding next year. Trying to make as much genetic progress as I can with these birds.

Have a whole slew of Blue laced young birds-- looks like I've finally got some pullets in there, since last year was 100% cockerel hatchings. I'll probably keep all the pullets, and the best cockerel or two. Sold the old bird (sire of this year's blues) to my buddy. We'll see how these cockerels grow out- which historicall isn't as muscular as I want them to be. If I do end up with a stout one- I might sell that last remaining old pair of Black laced. If not, I might put my dark hens in with the blue laced cockerel to add some meat and bone. We'll see.

Have a bunch of white chicks, most aren't big enough to really sex yet. Will end up keeping all of them to build around in the future. Bright looking young batch they are.

Finally got a replacement Dark cockerel too, since I didn't have much hatch from them this year. Found the old cock floating in a watertank early into breeding season. Think I ended up with one pullet and one cockerel from the darks. Just goes to prove, no matter how bad you want to let them out-- don't let anything out that you can't afford to lose!

Also, have three Brahma chicks from big med's eggs I bought this spring. Sure didnt' expect them, but they/re coming on nicely-- and can't tell what we have yet-- but they'll remain. Boss thinks they are neat with feathered legs. Have two blue laced, and a black laced.

Fwhew! I had to read that about 4 times. Might have to read it again! Read through your https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/kfacress-member-page post again, too. On a side note, have you seen Bob's opened up a "heritage" bantam thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/818817/heritage-bantam-thread/? Looks like it's going to be a fun one. :)
Spent over an hour with Mr. Killian in Sequim, WA yesterday. He puts a 3/4 DC with 1/4 Buckeye rooster over Del or Light Brahma... OMG that boy is BIG. Need to ask him how he ended up with the 3/4 ... anyway, certainly solves the trouble of a DC covering a larger (taller) hen... Has the double muscling on the chest, tight feathering. Like a hunk of concrete with feathers. He uses the white hens since it's easier with the auto-sexing by color to separate the males for making capons. Fabulous system. I don't have the space for the scale he does, but had def. got me thinking. Then I re-read your site. How has the bantam crossing been going, or are you doing that any more?
TTYS, -Aleta G

Fwhew! I had to read that about 4 times. Might have to read it again! Read through your https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/kfacress-member-page post again, too. On a side note, have you seen Bob's opened up a "heritage" bantam thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/818817/heritage-bantam-thread/? Looks like it's going to be a fun one. :)
Spent over an hour with Mr. Killian in Sequim, WA yesterday. He puts a 3/4 DC with 1/4 Buckeye rooster over Del or Light Brahma... OMG that boy is BIG. Need to ask him how he ended up with the 3/4 ... anyway, certainly solves the trouble of a DC covering a larger (taller) hen... Has the double muscling on the chest, tight feathering. Like a hunk of concrete with feathers. He uses the white hens since it's easier with the auto-sexing by color to separate the males for making capons. Fabulous system. I don't have the space for the scale he does, but had def. got me thinking. Then I re-read your site. How has the bantam crossing been going, or are you doing that any more?
TTYS, -Aleta G
I had a quad of bantams for about 5 months, lost the rooster. Haven't ever intended on breeding them into any 'projects'.

They wouldn't suit me, but as I stated on the page-- they would be better suited for most people just 'tinkering' around.

I had a quad of bantams for about 5 months, lost the rooster. Haven't ever intended on breeding them into any 'projects'.

They wouldn't suit me, but as I stated on the page-- they would be better suited for most people just 'tinkering' around.
Ah, too bad. Just was curious. If I had time, space and unlimited funds, I'd be cookin' up some mad little crosses, really! Instead, I am lurking and picking, and searching out people who are doing things... successfully, looks to me. Like you!
:)
Jeff wants at least a 5lb carcass after 20wks; I'm wondering if there's a bantam cross out there that might push the 3lb mark at around the same time. Easier for us quarter-acre types for us to keep 10 of those around any given time, you know. Eh, so I'm a leetle crazy.

I've been sorting through my young bird, trying to figure out what to pen off to keep, and what to feed to butcher.

I have a pair of tremendous black laced red cockerels- if someone was interested, I would sell one of them- and keep the other. Might be able to find one of my better pullets to include and make a breeding pair of them.

If time allows, I'll try to get a pic or two.

Same boat here. Except my old computor with all my pictures on it has crapped out.(borrowing wifes now). Should be able to transfer all data to new machine when I can swing that. Going to set up at one swap this weekend, possibly two. If anybody is interested in southwest Ohio let me know, as I did not figure to bring any of these along, saving them for people who appreciate them for what they are.

Hey kfacres, you mentioned a while back about finally getting some pullets that are of a more hefty build. That wasn't by accident, while I have never not kept a heavy well built female for breeding, I have also kept some lighter built females as well. My thinking was as long the line continues to produce outstanding meat carcase males, I figured lighter females would probably lay better, be more mobile, at less feed required to maintain that extra bulk. Now don't get me wrong, they still make much better soup hens than other duel purpose breeds when their productive days are done.

I still have to figure out which, and set the trait for laying the really big egg that some of these gals produce. The last couple hatches contained only the the biggest eggs, will be interesting to see what body type develops out of these youngsters.

Last edited:
Possibly, but the shipping costs could kill the idea. :) Can't wait to see your pics.
I don't have any interest in shipping, would be local pickup or meeting only. My fall schedule hopefully is home more so than the summer was-- but there is a trip to KY in November.

BM- the great big egg sure is intreging- I would guess somehow it's either by accident, or coming from the Brahma.

Funny story, I think my original Blue line is sex linked-- last year 100% on males hatched, and this year, only 1 pullet out of about 10.. Now, I think from my new eggs from you- I was about half and half male to female. Way different shades of color on them.

Sure glad I got that new white cock, as I have a real fancy set of white youngsters running around. Looks to be plenty of pullets in there! Finally let one of the old white hens set on some eggs. She was persistant!

The big egg thing runs in the Cornish and the blue laced red Brahma pens, they are cousins, Something clicked in the combination of genetics, but I'll take a happy accident anytime. They are much bigger than the eggs layed by any of the original broodstock involved, with the possible exception of the crazy Wyandotte I used to bring in the blue, as I only had the single splash phase blue laced red male, so can't really say what he brought to the mix, but his blood runs through both groups.

How does the color vary ?

They are persistant about trying to set. A pain, but potentally a plus for a truelly self sufficient home meat/egg flock. Another plus to a little lighter built hen, probably
less broken eggs if allowed to brood.

How the build on the young whites ? I liked the build on the original white male better, but if he was not producing chicks, it's all for not.

Back
Top Bottom