Red Laced Cornish X and project talk (pics p. 8)

During the very begining of the storm here, it began to sleet pretty hard and there was lightning and thunder at the same time. Then the very young peach fuzzed weather kid say's it's was thundersleeting.........
roll.png
LOL, what will they come up with next.

AL

Quote:
Thanks Jeff . Its hard to say how much we got , too much drifting , I did see my 5 gal. bucket sitting under the hydrant was completely full of snow , but half of it stuck out of the snow on the ground . I'm not supposed to shovel snow , but had to dig a path to the coop and clear out a little area outside to move the feeers back outside It took awhile , three scoops then stop and rest . LOL The road's still full ; once it's been plowed my neighbor is bringing me a four wheeler with snowblade . He's got the same heart damage as me but it's the cold that bothers him most , so he'll sit in here while I clear the lane . Fortunately the blowing and drifting actually left my lane with less snow than anywhere else .

ETA: Sorry , I'm a liitle south and all the way west cross state to the Mississippi Rv bottoms , 30 miles upstream from Burlington , IA I'm kinda in the middle of the Big River state forest [ alot of the park is broken by large tracts of private owned properties ]

Last edited:
Hey everybody, just recently got turned on to this thread, lot of back reading to do. While I was raised around large fowl Cornish, (Dad still has large whites, and a couple side projects I might of kinda talked him into), I went an easier direction. I have always been impressed with the look, presence, and mass of a good Cornish. I have known a few good breeders, and some characters, and some were both. I have conversed with Al in the past on Cornish related matters. Short of going through this whole thread, which I will do when I get the time, could somebody be so kind as to brief me on some of the projects being worked on. Between Dad and my birds, we may produce some birds that may be usefull in some way.

Quote:
They're saying 12 to 17 inches total , and with 35 mph winds , that's makes drifts several feet high !
barnie.gif

I hear you. Try keeping birds in Upper Michigan. -13 below without a wind chill a couple of weeks ago. 2-3 feet of snow for 5 months is normal here. One of the reasons I keep Canadian breeds. It's all good though, the birds do just fine. I'd love to get my hands on some white cornish hatching eggs though. Always wanted those.

Quote:
They seem rarer than hen's teeth
tongue.png

I was up in Travis City a couple or three Aprils ago . We were mowing grass here , still snow drifts on the north side of things there .................................our winters are much shorter and milder .

The purple spots are the same reason some Marans eggs can be entirely purple. . . It's the extra coating that is occasionally laid over the egg. It makes speckled eggs have purple spots, light brown eggs look pink, and dark brown eggs look purple.

Well, my accidental Polish X Marans may not be great meat birds, or so I'd think so far, but at least the chocolate colored one of the bunch looks like it's gonna be a frizzle.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom