Red Laced Cornish X and project talk (pics p. 8)

Quote:
No, he's a he and already knows it.
lol.png
The white pullet from your eggs; wasn't it from one of your Marans/CX guys over a White Rock hen? She's big and getting pretty wide; but this younger, white Freedom Ranger from Notafarm is about the same size, though not as wide.

The red cockeral from you looks like an improoved version of a red Freedom Ranger; still growing fast but looking less fat now that he's in the big pen with my adults................................ he rode my poor, old, big CX guy to death. The big guy injured himself trying to fight the white Ameraucana through the fence. The CX got about two feet in the air trying to spur through the fence, came down and broke the back toe on his left leg. He went down hill from there, and his last day wasn't walking at all. The red cockeral from you started mounting him that day.
hmm.png
I figured to cull the old boy for dog food the next day, but he flipped and laid dead in the heat too long, so I threw him on a brush pile and burnt him.

Quote:
I prefer the pea comb and breed for the smallest ones can get away with, I vent and feather sex so comb and wattle/feather growth isn't an issue as a growth/ gender indicator. WTS I do have some who have resisted my incessant pleading to grow small pea combs LOL. But with all of the serious work I have been trying to accomplish the pea comb as been my achiles heel LOL.AL

Hi Al,

When you used "Hulk" in your meat line did he produce chicks with a pea/rose/walnut combs? If so I assume the trait was lost in subsequent matings?
Thanks,
Joe

Quote:
No, he's a he and already knows it.
lol.png
The white pullet from your eggs; wasn't it from one of your Marans/CX guys over a White Rock hen? She's big and getting pretty wide; but this younger, white Freedom Ranger from Notafarm is about the same size, though not as wide.

The red cockeral from you looks like an improoved version of a red Freedom Ranger; still growing fast but looking less fat now that he's in the big pen with my adults................................ he rode my poor, old, big CX guy to death. The big guy injured himself trying to fight the white Ameraucana through the fence. The CX got about two feet in the air trying to spur through the fence, came down and broke the back toe on his left leg. He went down hill from there, and his last day wasn't walking at all. The red cockeral from you started mounting him that day.
hmm.png
I figured to cull the old boy for dog food the next day, but he flipped and laid dead in the heat too long, so I threw him on a brush pile and burnt him.

I'm getting birds mixed up . . . I thought she has muffs? or did you get three?

Hi, I hope I can join in here, since I just got some WLRC and some Speckled Sussex to do some meat birds.

I have been reading the posts, and am very excited about trying this "AT HOME"
smile.png

The WLRC are males and all the females are SS. I also have some backyard birds - A BR, some Wyandottes
a few EE's and a couple of Australorps. I know I won't be able to breed the Cornish until next year; it's teaching
me patience, which I sorely lack. It's hard enough for me to wait for a hatch, so the next 8 months is going to be
"HORRIBLE"

Oh, I also just got some Polish, just for fun though; one white crested black, and one black crested white.
big_smile.png

TC

Quote:
Welcome! If your WLRC males are hatchery sourced, they will most probably be breeding this year. My WLRCs from Schlecht's were laying, and the one male I kept was breeding, by 6 or 7 months. The breeder sourced DCs are still under a year; they attempt to breed but I've yet to hatch a chick. Tonight I candled most of a row of 7 in my bator from that pen that should hatch in a week if fertile. Seeing 6 clears, I discarded the row.............................. and found a live chick in the last egg as I broke them open.
sad.png

Quote:
welcome! Steve and Al and some of these other guys are the KINGS of patience . . . me not so much!
smile.png
But I'm laughting at your 8 months idea, that's what I thought too when I started a few years ago
big_smile.png

Quote:
welcome! Steve and Al and some of these other guys are the KINGS of patience . . . me not so much!
smile.png
But I'm laughting at your 8 months idea, that's what I thought too when I started a few years ago
big_smile.png

KTCL, Hmm, laughing at the 8 months - am I being optimistic, or will it take longer!?!?

And thank you everyone for the welcome. I know about Steve and Al - I've been lurking, trying to learn so I don't make a really stupid post.
roll.png

Most of my chicks are hatchery, only the Polish are from a breeder. I simply don't understand why there is such a dearth of breeders
in Western WA - on the other hand, I can find plenty of Rabbit breeders.

Just had 2 unexpected hatches - one little duckling, blind in one eye, being kept company by a solitary little EE'r.

TC

lol yes 8 months is optimistic, great time frame to get F1 chicks but will take much longer to perfect what you want, but that becomes the fun part really. Don't worry about stupid posts, I make them all the time
smile.png
mostly people just ignore them . . .

Back
Top Bottom