Red Laced Cornish X and project talk (pics p. 8)

Pardon me, White Laced Red and thank you. I posted the photo and Ill post again. I would like to know if the red bird is a White Laced Red. Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
Pardon me, White Laced Red and thank you. I posted the photo and Ill post again. I would like to know if the red bird is a White Laced Red. Thank you for your time.
no

and the white ones are not white cornish either.

You have purchased some variability of the commonly called Cornish Rock, CX, or Cornish Cross hybrid meat bird. That is what the whites are.

The dark colored chick looks like some kind of knock off 'slow' grower meat bird. These come in any color as well. They are nothing more than the above discussed white birds mated to some kind of DP type bird. Depending on what the DP bird is, you can get any color- even white if the CX is mated to a regular white rock. With that being said, you originally stated you bought 'slower growers'... so to me, the whites are probably a White Rock/ CX.

I have five red laced white Cornish straight run. I will try to post pictures. They are pretty good sized for being only 2 months old.

2013-06-30_18-36-43_440.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you, That is quite a differance! I wanted to try the Cornish Rock Crosses to see for myself. But the color on the reddish one has puzzled me. Thank you so much for posting and even providing pictures. It is appreciated!

So what is a DP chicken? What does it stand for?

Last edited:
Also, the white birds were called a Slow Cornish Cross at the grange. Which I understand now is also called sometimes a Cornish Rock. So the red one was a mystery and became darker and is smaller but otherwise looked similar.

Last edited:
Also, the white birds were called a Slow Cornish Cross at the grange. Which I understand now is also called sometimes a Cornish Rock. So the red one was a mystery and became darker and is smaller but otherwise looked similar.
On my BYC page, I have a very detailed discussion about the Cornish Cross birds.

To summarize for you:

White Cornish and white rocks- were origianlly bred together 60 plus years ago as the ideal meat bird for commercial broiler production in the US. In the past 50 years other breeds have been injected into them, but the main cause of such rapid genetic advancement has been the millions of breeder birds used to get where we are. They are not GMO. The modern CX is a hybrid 4 way cross-- to get the final product. It doesn't matter if you purchase Cornish Rocks, CX, Extra Heavy, Rapid Growth, or Cornish Game hens-- they are the exact same bird- just either from a different company, or geared to be butchered at a different age of life.

Because most people raising these birds are amature, many problems occur with the rapid growth and structure of the common CX bird. As a result many other minor companies have developed what they call 'slow grower' CX birds. They are nothing more than half CX, and half some other kind of Dual Purpose type chicken- they are marketed under 'slow grower' freedom rangers, colored broilers, etc.. This is my speculation as to what you have.

Nice synopsis.

I am trying cornish x for the first time. I did use the fermented feed method once they became fairly large. THey dive into the FF. I like that they don't gorge on the dry pellets then dive for the water. Rather the FF is a wet mash and they eat until full. THe overall consumption is less so they grow slower with few problems so far. Now in the fial days I feed FF once a day, and pellets all the time.

I have a second batch to run the trial again.

THis I did as a comparison to the hatchery DP that I have. I'm not likely to do cornish cross again unless I can run them on pasture.

Nice synopsis.

I am trying cornish x for the first time. I did use the fermented feed method once they became fairly large. THey dive into the FF. I like that they don't gorge on the dry pellets then dive for the water. Rather the FF is a wet mash and they eat until full. THe overall consumption is less so they grow slower with few problems so far. Now in the fial days I feed FF once a day, and pellets all the time.

I have a second batch to run the trial again.

THis I did as a comparison to the hatchery DP that I have. I'm not likely to do cornish cross again unless I can run them on pasture.
I butchered some half cornish/ half silkie back in Dec... and they put the hammer to the Farm King Style DP roosters who were 3 months older on average.

Back
Top Bottom