Red Laced Cornish X and project talk (pics p. 8)

Quote:
Yes on both fronts............. The whites were developed and bred to the SOP but the main breeders who had the most influence in developing that same APA-SOP also tended to overly influence the the production of unmanagable traits for show ring purposes. Thus and unwittingly resulting in the reduced ability to propigate the breed, by virtue of infertility in certain body structure traits.

AL

I was wondering Al ; since the White Cornish are the most problematic with fertility , why haven't you used a good Dark Cornish over the White Cornish gals ? I would think the F1s off that cross , when mated to each other , should produce some Whites in the F2 generation if White Cornish are true recessive white .

I plan to go an easier route and go with a WLR over the white hens, the F1 & 2 ratio's of pure Dominant White should be much better.

AL

Quote:
Thats not what I want to hear! I just put 15 in the incubator. I was checking them for atleast 10 days to see if the males were old enough to get it done and I was getting about 1 out of 3 that looked fertile to me. I will know more in 7 days when I candle them.

Chad : 1 in 3 and of those fertile 5 you would be lucky to get 2 live with 3 quiters on average, welcome to the White world Chad LOL. When did you get some White egg's, the ones you were telling me about from Brian or Gary, I can't remember.

My Plan is to hatch all year on the combo's I have in place now, given those ratio's out of maybe 500 eggs if I could get 50 hatched live I'd be happy than a pig in slop.

AL

Quote:
Thats not what I want to hear! I just put 15 in the incubator. I was checking them for atleast 10 days to see if the males were old enough to get it done and I was getting about 1 out of 3 that looked fertile to me. I will know more in 7 days when I candle them.

fl.gif
I hope you have a great hatch Chad ! Are these crosses off the DC ?

Sorry guys, I need to be more specific. These are from my darks. I had one hen laying real consistent and then they all decided to start, which I was doing cartwheels. Then I actually saw the roosters doing what they are suppose to do, so I checked them and could not wait any longer! If I get 1 out of it I'll be happy.

The crosses will start in the spring. I have 26 out of 27 CX's that are 4 weeks old and doing great. I'm going to use a Lt Sussex on some and a DC on the others.

Quote:

Chad : 1 in 3 and of those fertile 5 you would be lucky to get 2 live with 3 quiters on average, welcome to the White world Chad LOL. When did you get some White egg's, the ones you were telling me about from Brian or Gary, I can't remember.

My Plan is to hatch all year on the combo's I have in place now, given those ratio's out of maybe 500 eggs if I could get 50 hatched live I'd be happy than a pig in slop.

AL

OUCH ! With those kind of ratios , if my bator was running at good temps and humidity , I would start suspecting that the whites carry a lethal gene associated with their color . Introducing dominate white may just be the answer .

Quote:
That's great Chad , I had forgotten you acquired some DC pullets . How often will a DC lay ? I really like LS , from what I've read they are larger and faster matureing than my SS .

ETA : How old are your DC males ?

Last edited:
Quote:
You should be Ok then with much better ratio's............... you should get a few good ones for sure Chad.

Steve : The Hulk is Dominant White but it is just a thing with him, I have a younger Cockrel who is showing much better progress in the ( gettin Jiggy wit it ) department so I have my hopes up this spring.

AL

Quote:
Afternoon Stranger !!!!!!!!!! You havin a good day???

AL

Last edited:
Quote:
Why would you be jealous ? You already have a breeding population of Marans X CX established that look great , not to mention the Super Layers ........................................ plus a colored line you never mention
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom