Red Laced Cornish X and project talk (pics p. 8)

Quote:
I wish I had something to show.
tongue.png
I've never shown chickens; I started traveling to some shows last year looking for brood stock, though I'm happy to say an Ameraucana roo I purchased before the classes were judged won later.
cool.png
My current Ameraucanas come from a good source, but are too young to show. I'm actually not a great fan of showing, they're judged by looks and feel alone with no consideration of any other qualities any particular breed may be noted for.......................... but they usually are far better birds [closer in appearance to what they're supposed to be] than what I find elsewhere. If there's nothing for sale there, I at least have the opportunity to talk to their breeders about possibly getting stock from them later.

It costs me as much or more to feed and house a poor quality bird as it does a good one, and feed and housing will be the biggest expence; and if I want quality, its going to be very expencive trying to develope it from a flock of mediocore birds. Spending a little more $ for a bird from a breeder may be the cheapest way to go, even for a poor man like myself wanting to crossbreed them. If I only wanted egg layers, I'd be happy with hatchery sourced birds; their birds are usually down sized from the breed they're supposed to be, often better layers, and cheaper to keep because of their smaller size...................... but if going that route I would just buy their commercial laying crosses or EE instead.

Because I consider the sanctioned shows a good place to find higher quality birds, I hope to get to Crossroads this fall; it should be the biggest competion in the nation this year.

Yes it will deffinately be, I am hoping to head down to the state fair for a day, all the birds I was planning to show were taken by preds this year. I hope that there will be some good birds there even though its not sanctioned, for some unknown reason to me.

A friend of mine decided to let loose of a few birds and I happened to be in the right place at the right time, picked up a few and thought I'd introduce Ya'll to them, they will be in the breeding pen's for awhile. They have allot of the some lines of My birds blood and some of other good stock. It too k 4 hrs in 110 degree heat haggling over them and when it was all said and done I should have been wearing a Yamika on my head LOL. Anyway here they are and some updates from the others I have.

A nice 3 yr old super fiesty Dark rooster.
10364_img_1494.jpg

nice and wide
10364_img_1500.jpg

real nice head and brow and a great pearl eye, healthy red face.
10364_img_1503.jpg

I picked up 2 mature dark hens they both are Identical, except for the misplaced feathers due to us wrastlin for pic's.
10364_img_1515.jpg

10364_img_1510.jpg

She also carries a good head and eye.
10364_img_1514.jpg

I scored a really nice white from a dark hatch last yr, he has some smudging but it's very light but he has a ton of potential, for a young bird. to add some body to my teen whites.
10364_img_1505.jpg

10364_img_1509.jpg

10364_img_1506.jpg

Also with a nice head and brow with a good eye.
10364_img_1507.jpg

The breeding pen's are lookin like they may have some big things working come this fall/winter/spring.

10364_img_1534.jpg

10364_img_1535.jpg

10364_img_1522.jpg

the WLR pen is also looking in prime condition, now if they will only lay some for me in this heat.
10364_img_1527.jpg

10364_img_1526.jpg

Cull back-up rooster for the layer flock.
10364_img_1541.jpg

some layers that I am holding back for Insurance LOL, alos in the layer pen.
10364_img_1542.jpg

The remaining white teens seem to be doing Ok for now.
10364_img_1547.jpg

10364_img_1524.jpg

10364_img_1519.jpg

Anyway I was lucky to be called first on these new birds by this guy as he did want to sell to a cornish man and have the 1st pick, One always has to be on the look-out for good birds and jump when the opportunity arises. I like them and am happy with what they can potentialy do to my effort this coming yr.

Just wanted to share with my friends first.

AL

Last edited:
Quote:
clap.gif
I almost never fix my own fried chicken, but last year I did that with a young EE cockeral. The flavor and texture was really outstanding; the meat, including the more slender breasts, darker and richer in flavor than any chicken I had eaten since dim memories of my childhood. There's a lot to be said for those old heritage breeds we raised and ate before it became easier to visit the new KFC. At first those 'seven secret herbs and spices' made it the best tasting chicken ever, but today I miss the flavor of the meat of that home fried heritage bird. Its good to know you're working with one and would love to see the offspring. I'll bet there are many people even right here in the meat bird section that have yet to taste anything other than a 7 or 8 week old CX........................... they have no idea what they are missing.

Quote:
clap.gif
I almost never fix my own fried chicken, but last year I did that with a young EE cockeral. The flavor and texture was really outstanding; the meat, including the more slender breasts, darker and richer in flavor than any chicken I had eaten since dim memories of my childhood. There's a lot to be said for those old heritage breeds we raised and ate before it became easier to visit the new KFC. At first those 'seven secret herbs and spices' made it the best tasting chicken ever, but today I miss the flavor of the meat of that home fried heritage bird. Its good to know you're working with one and would love to see the offspring. I'll bet there are many people even right here in the meat bird section that have yet to taste anything other than a 7 or 8 week old CX........................... they have no idea what they are missing.

(I'll post pics of the fluffy butts as soon as they dry off, and continue to post updates on their growth).
smile.png

That's EXACTLY what I am working towards, funny you mention KFC... that used to be my FAVORITE thing growing up, (think Southpark Medicinal Fried Chicken episode where KFC is outlawed and Cartman becomes a black market KFC dealer, funny episode) anywho, after I started processing and eating my own chickens I really can't stand KFC or even the roasted chickens in the grocery stores, they just taste off to me. Homegrown chicken is SOOOOO much better, and yes the other breeds (besides cornish x's) tend to have much better flavor. Most of my customers think so too.
big_smile.png

In a nutshell I am trying to get something that has the flavor of a heritage, the growth of a cornish, but still has good health and livability.

And here's some pics of the big guy; the females in the pen with him are 8-10 pounds (NOT small) and he dwarfs them! I'm guessing he is 12+ pounds. He was always a big baby and grew faster than all his hatch-mates and topped out at a much larger size. I am hoping he will pass his good genes on.
big_smile.png

SAM_1606.jpg

SAM_1609.jpg

SAM_1693.jpg

And unfortunately I just lost him last week. He got out of the pen somehow, and my dog got him...
sad.png
which was weird because even the babies I had in there couldn't get out. RIP big guy, hope your babies carry on your legacy!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom