Red Laced Cornish X and project talk (pics p. 8)

Quote:
If the three varieties [DCs, WLRCs, and WCs] have been mixed back and forth, patterns and colors may be mixed to the point where few chicks will meet the APA's description for any one of the varieties. Doesn't affect their quality as a meat bird, but they can't be shown successfully.

That is extremely correct-- but in terms of a good looking meat bird- might be the way to go... which is what I am after *at this point in time*. A bird that looks like a cornish, but irrelevent in color.

Now, you never know what colors you'd be getting, so maybe it might create it's own unique color- if bred around, and linebred back to, might have the chance to breed more 'pure'... Of course when you are dealing with only three colors, you can't make something out of nothing though...

Quote:
If the three varieties [DCs, WLRCs, and WCs] have been mixed back and forth, patterns and colors may be mixed to the point where few chicks will meet the APA's description for any one of the varieties. Doesn't affect their quality as a meat bird, but they can't be shown successfully.

That is extremely correct-- but in terms of a good looking meat bird- might be the way to go... which is what I am after *at this point in time*. A bird that looks like a cornish, but irrelevent in color.

Now, you never know what colors you'd be getting, so maybe it might create it's own unique color- if bred around, and linebred back to, might have the chance to breed more 'pure'... Of course when you are dealing with only three colors, you can't make something out of nothing though...

IMO, even though pure for no one variety, if they have the correct type to meet the SOP, over time it's possible to get the color back. It does take time, and will require a working knowledge of the proper pattern and the genetics behind it. I'm just in the beginning of learning these things, and somewhat challenged in learning abilites.
tongue.png
Plus no telling how much time I have to work with.
Also, IMO, Whites are the easiest to work with or breed back; it makes only a little difference what they carry under the white....................... and as a table bird there is an obvious advantage in processing a white bird if you're plucking rather than skinning.

Thats why so many folks like to work with a solid color, no pattern to work have to get right on top of type, comb, eye color, etc. too. Whites an easy color to work with since it doesn't come in shades, its white or its not. Plus as Steve pointed out it makes a more appealing carcass. And from what I understand white breeds true. The only downside is getting them clean for the show but that's a very small aspect to consider when you look at everything else.

Quote:
my main disconcern with whites is predatation.. of course everything gets penned up at night, but the temptation will still be there and some varmits it seems, will chew through cattle panels just to get inside and feast on my breeding stock...

then you have to worry about finding a white cornish, and the white cornish guys not selling
cool.png

Ya'll make it sound like the whites are easiest of all the colors to raise LOL, there are more problems breeding good whites than any of the other varieties. The body types on whites being much more exagerated creates it own dilema, topping hens is an issue, ferility, and the constant dilution of genetic input by other folks to the whites makes it a crap shoot at best. Then not to mention finding good quality whites to begin with, to tell the truth the would be standard white owner isn't willing to invest the $$$$$$ it takes to get a breeding trio you can't be a cheapskate and breed good whites. Folks are into WLR's & Darks cause they are easier to find, shoot even the evil hatcheries carry them in their very dilluted form. Ok enough said.... your catching me at a bad time sorry guy's LOL.

Let's say a guy wanted to get some of those "evil hatchery"
cool.png
darks owing to the extreme difficulty in finding any quality breeder birds.
rant.gif
Which hatchery do you all think has the best?

You know, I think you folks are a confounded nuisance.

I have been idly reading this thread since Katy started it last year, but it was never more than idle curiosity because I hate plucking chickens.

But after awhile it started to get to me, but I still hate plucking chickens.

Then Steve at S&S Poultry put up some Dark Cornish hatching eggs at a good price and since I already had orders into him for turkey eggs (where my main interest lies) I went ahead and ordered them. Not that I'd planned on what to do with the resulting birds, but I got them. Hatched eight and they've been doing well ever since.

I still hate plucking chickens but have been idly dithering over whether to invest in the parts for a Whizbang. What with the economic gloom we've been suffering these last several years and forecasts for more for the foreseeable future it occurred to me I'd better make up my mind one way or the other before the cost so much I could not afford them. My Whizbang Shebang package came in on Thursday.

Then you have off and on discussed breeding in some of the larger Asian games to improve the meat characteristics of the Dark Cornish. Didn't think much of all of that one way or the other since I'd never seen or heard of those birds before other than on this board. Until TODAY when at the swap there was a fellow set up down the row from me had the most fascinating looking bird. I've seen pictures of them here before but this was my first time meeting one in the flesh. I asked the man if it was a Shamo and he said it was, specifically a Red Pyle. I could tell the bird wasn't yet mature but the feet and legs on that thing were huge!

But he wanted fifty dollars for the bird and I wasn't curious enough about one to part with that sort of money especially since I'd just blown six months worth of bird and egg money on the plucker parts. We talked a bit about it, but I let it go and eventually the fellow next to him bought it. [shrug] Fifty bucks I just saved.

Then just as we were all packing up to go home the guy that had bought the bird offered to trade him to me for my last three turkeys which were worth the fifty bucks he'd just spent to by the Shamo. I thought about it for a while and decided I had plenty more turkeys at home and needed their growout pen space as much as I needed them so I took him up on his offer.

And here he is:

2011-08-20%25252013.58.15.jpg
2011-08-20%25252017.49.22.jpg
2011-08-20%25252017.49.32.jpg

He doesn't appear to be very old. His spurs are just nubs yet. I'm curious to see if he'll grow into this legs and how big he'll ultimately become. I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep him or not. Depends on how well he plays with the other roosters in the bachelor pen. The fellow that was selling him said he was in a pen of other roosters and they got along, but I've read the have to be kept isolated. If I do use him I'll put him over my largest Cornish hens and see what happens.

And tonight I went to my local Tractor Supply to look at motors for my Whizbang. Still more money to spend.

And I blame this thread for it all!

Last edited:
A.T. Hagan :

I have been idly reading this thread since Katy started it last year, but it was never more than idle curiosity because I hate plucking chickens.

The Steve at S&S Poultry put up some Dark Cornish hatching eggs at a good price and since I already had orders into him for turkey eggs (where my main interest lies) I went ahead and ordered them. Not that I'd planned on what to do with the resulting birds, but I got them. Hatched eight and they've been doing well ever since.

I still hate plucking chickens but have been idly dithering over whether to invest in the parts for a Whizbang. What with the economic gloom we've been suffering these last several years and forecasts for more for the foreseeable future it occurred to me I'd better make up my mind one way or the other before the cost so much I could not afford them. My Whizbang Shebang package came in on Thursday.

Then you have off and on discussed breeding in some of the larger Asian games to improve the meat characteristics of the Dark Cornish. Didn't think much of all of that one way or the other since I'd never seen or heard of those birds before other than on this board. Until TODAY when at the swap there was a fellow set up down the row from me had the most fascinating looking bird. I've seen pictures of them here before but this was my first time meeting one in the flesh. I asked the man if it was a Shamo and he said it was, specifically a Red Pyle. I could tell the bird wasn't yet mature but the feet and legs on that thing were huge!

But he wanted fifty dollars for the bird and I wasn't curious enough about one to part with that sort of money especially since I'd just blown six months worth of bird and egg money on the plucker parts. We talked a bit about it, but I let it go and eventually the fellow next to him bought it. [shrug] Fifty bucks I just saved.

Then just as we were all packing up to go home the guy that had bought the bird offered to trade him to me for my last three turkeys which were worth the fifty bucks he'd just spent to by the Shamo. I thought about it for a while and decided I had plenty more turkeys at home and needed their growout pen space as much as I needed them so I took him up on his offer.

And here he is:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-.../vxF7MC8RxF0/s800/2011-08-20%252013.58.15.jpg https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-.../kKIQynvRJlc/s800/2011-08-20%252017.49.22.jpg https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-.../XQDwkWl9Yig/s800/2011-08-20%252017.49.32.jpg

He doesn't appear to be very old. His spurs are just nubs yet. I'm curious to see if he'll grow into this legs and how big he'll ultimately become. I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep him or not. Depends on how well he plays with the other roosters in the bachelor pen. The fellow that was selling him said he was in a pen of other roosters and they got along, but I've read the have to be kept isolated. If I do use him I'll put him over my largest Cornish hens and see what happens.

And tonight I went to my local Tractor Supply to look at motors for my Whizbang. Still more money to spend.

lol.png
Turn him with the roos in the background, and you won't have so much plucking to do.
tongue.png

How do the DCs from Sand's look? Pics?​

A.T. Hagan :

The Steve at S&S Poultry put up some Dark Cornish hatching eggs at a good price and since I already had orders into him for turkey eggs (where my main interest lies) I went ahead and ordered them. Not that I'd planned on what to do with the resulting birds, but I got them. Hatched eight and they've been doing well ever since.

And here he is:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-.../vxF7MC8RxF0/s800/2011-08-20%252013.58.15.jpg https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-.../kKIQynvRJlc/s800/2011-08-20%252017.49.22.jpg https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-.../XQDwkWl9Yig/s800/2011-08-20%252017.49.32.jpg

He almost looks like a barred red pyle...​

Ya'll make it sound like the whites are easiest of all the colors to raise LOL, there are more problems breeding good whites than any of the other varieties. The body types on whites being much more exagerated creates it own dilema, topping hens is an issue, ferility, and the constant dilution of genetic input by other folks to the whites makes it a crap shoot at best. Then not to mention finding good quality whites to begin with, to tell the truth the would be standard white owner isn't willing to invest the $$$$$$ it takes to get a breeding trio you can't be a cheapskate and breed good whites. Folks are into WLR's & Darks cause they are easier to find, shoot even the evil hatcheries carry them in their very dilluted form.

I know we caught you at a bad time but I still hold to my original opinion. The issues you mention would be difficult to overcome and I have the upmost respect for your efforts with the Cornish. The thing is you can focus on type and fertility because you don't have to worry about a pattern. Imagine having to work out all those issues and not lose a pattern on top of that? That complicates things even more which was all I was getting at.

Personally I don't like white birds they look too industrial for me. And yes predators are problem, so no when I have my own breeding project I won't have white birds. But when you talk about the homesteader and the exhibitor its apples and oranges. However if I was to start showing Id have whites for the exact reason I listed above.​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom