Red Laced Cornish X and project talk (pics p. 8)

You would think me spending every day, all day on a computor, most of the time--- that I could figure out this site and how to post a picture.

B/c I could only change my avatar- there's a picture of the Dark Cornish cock from the topside- as a teaser for you. I took this picture about a week ago.

More available for public viewing...

Guys, not sure of all the figuring on the possible genetics of the spotted white birds. I had a couple white chicks this year showing some black spotting out of the BLR cornish project pen. I do have two white hens that Dad did not hatch here that were supposed to be pure Strait blood. But when breed to colored birds not carrying recessive white produced all colored chicks. So I am pretty sure I have no dominant white at play here. Where the spots come from I don't know. I wondered maybe if it could be a splash blue bird being covered by recessive white ? Now both you guys have birds from this blood, is it a possibility that could be the case there as well ? Or could be they just look similiar for different reasons.

I will look to see if I have any pictures of the spotted birds, since gone, on the computer. I aim to get some pictures, and maybe weights, today, on some of the young whites which don't figure in my future breeding plans.
I ended up culling, selling, or giving away the chicks hatched from your eggs; they were nice birds but never had the body type that I felt I needed to improve the Ameraucanas that I am using in my project; plus the whites grew feather stubs on their legs and I did not want that showing up in later generations, though they were nice birds. To be frank, the whites I found to replace them, supposedly pure Cornish, were no better in type or build than the whites from you, but had no feather stubs.

I've bred recessive white Ameraucanas, and have experienced having blue, black and red bleed on them; one cockerel had an almost.completely red head, but usually bleed showed up as a spot on the back or a colored wing feather. Nobody seems to know why they do this; but some admitted theirs did it and to just cull those that bleed. [I also experienced feathers and stubs showing up on my White Ameraucana's legs, that came from a well known breeder, which was why I finally chose not to use those whites hatched from your eggs.]

I have a recessive White Ameraucana Cockerel that is a pure white, I wonder if it is the fact that is from a blue line, so It carrys silver and not gold, so any leakage would just be silver white.
I ended up culling, selling, or giving away the chicks hatched from your eggs; they were nice birds but never had the body type that I felt I needed to improve the Ameraucanas that I am using in my project; plus the whites grew feather stubs on their legs and I did not want that showing up in later generations, though they were nice birds. To be frank, the whites I found to replace them, supposedly pure Cornish, were no better in type or build than the whites from you, but had no feather stubs.

I've bred recessive white Ameraucanas, and have experienced having blue, black and red bleed on them; one cockerel had an almost.completely red head, but usually bleed showed up as a spot on the back or a colored wing feather. Nobody seems to know why they do this; but some admitted theirs did it and to just cull those that bleed. [I also experienced feathers and stubs showing up on my White Ameraucana's legs, that came from a well known breeder, which was why I finally chose not to use those whites hatched from your eggs.]

You're saying that is a recent picture of the DC that I gave you?. He would be about 15 months old now. I can't tell much about him from the angle, so really can't say one way or the other whether that's him or not, but I've never had a tail feathered liked that on any of my pure Cornish. Can you change your avator again with a different picture of him ? I intend to apologize if that turns out to be him.

Here is a brother of the bird that I gave you, back when he was 9 or 10 months old. There's also a sister to your WLRs, that was in his pen early last spring in the background. He has typical tail feathering for young Cornish cockerels

Last edited:
I have a recessive White Ameraucana Cockerel that is a pure white, I wonder if it is the fact that is from a blue line, so It carrys silver and not gold, so any leakage would just be silver white.
I sure don't know, and was also totally lost when you were asking me about me melanistic [sp?] genes at play to get me that black cockerel. As I told you about that beautiful, bright white EE pullet I have; she was produced by a Silver Ameraucana over a red sex-link hen. Absolutely looks to me to be very nice White Ameraucana, but I'm certainly not going to sell her as one. My best guess, after recently looking up red sex-link genetics again, is that she has dominant white from mom and silver from dad.

I think that the best solid blacks are E/E [extended black], and if also Ml/Ml [melonic], they are not supposed to able to show bleed. When making white split Ameraucanas, I had both blacks and blues bleed red or silver on their heads or necks on the males, a gold duckwing male, and one hen that looked like a red wheaten.[edited to add that the splits were from a White Ameraucana over bkack, blue, and splash Ameraucanas, and it was a black cockerel that leaked silver, the blue one leaked red] I don't know nearly enough to even begin to figure out where all those colors came from. Now that I think about it, the red wheaten [culled recently] was penned in my WC breeding pen, and almost has to be the mother of that white,muffed pullet with yellow legs that you tried to take. [lol, joking about you trying to take her] I was wanting to get a clean colored white pullet with muffs off the cross, but until just now had figured she must be from an EE because of her yellow legs. She's too young to lay, but now in my project pen because I like her Cornish shaped body.

Last edited:
the extended black and melonic genes is what I was meaning. That is weird that you got wheaten and gold duckwing out of the cross, amazing what white might be hiding. That muffed pullet was very well built.
I sure don't know, and was also totally lost when you were asking me about me melanistic [sp?] genes at play to get me that black cockerel. As I told you about that beautiful, bright white EE pullet I have; she was produced by a Silver Ameraucana over a red sex-link hen. Absolutely looks to me to be very nice White Ameraucana, but I'm certainly not going to sell her as one. My best guess, after recently looking up red sex-link genetics again, is that she has dominant white from mom and silver from dad.

I think that the best solid blacks are E/E [extended black], and if also Ml/Ml [melonic], they are not supposed to able to show bleed. When making white split Ameraucanas, I had both blacks and blues bleed red or silver on their heads or necks on the males, a gold duckwing male, and one hen that looked like a red wheaten.[edited to add that the splits were from a White Ameraucana over bkack, blue, and splash Ameraucanas, and it was a black cockerel that leaked silver, the blue one leaked red] I don't know nearly enough to even begin to figure out where all those colors came from. Now that I think about it, the red wheaten [culled recently] was penned in my WC breeding pen, and almost has to be the mother of that white,muffed pullet with yellow legs that you tried to take. [lol, joking about you trying to take her] I was wanting to get a clean colored white pullet with muffs off the cross, but until just now had figured she must be from an EE because of her yellow legs. She's too young to lay, but now in my project pen because I like her Cornish shaped body.

Last edited:
That muffed pullet was very well built.
Thank you for the kind words about her. And about the breeding pen she is now in, those Ameracauna X CX F1 pullets are the same age [hatched late April and early May], and just realized that their first eggs go to lock-down one week from tonight. Guess I need to get the oldest Cornish juvies separated to breeding pens just in case they do start breeding this fall. I'm eating bites of my first fried Cornish cull between words; a little large for frying but turned out great, and this is the best fried breast meat [aside from batter dipped tenders] that I have had for many years.

Finally got some photos and weights on some of this years youngsters, with young being the key word here, way late hatching this past year. Some of the older white cockerels, hatches ran from about the first of June through July. They look much more like broilers than Cornish. The heaviest was 7lbs 4oz. unofficially, I used an old baby scale I found at a garage sale years ago, I calibrated it by weighing a 5lb bag of sugar and adjusting accordingly, so should be fairly close.

droolin.gif

Some of the white pullets, did not get them weighed, running out of daylight.

They look very, very good. They're soft feathered and look a little like quality Chanteclers.

Back
Top Bottom