Red Laced Cornish X and project talk (pics p. 8)

I told you, I'm in the process of moving, and consolidating bird pens.

When you were here, I'm sure I had birds in 10 different pens.. now I have them in 2. Layers, and 'mostly grown' birds in a pen, and everything else in another.

I have taken down all my other pens, and have them packed on a trailor to move to the new place.

I told you, I'm in the process of moving, and consolidating bird pens.

When you were here, I'm sure I had birds in 10 different pens.. now I have them in 2. Layers, and 'mostly grown' birds in a pen, and everything else in another.

I have taken down all my other pens, and have them packed on a trailor to move to the new place.
When do you think that I was there?

Let me give a bit more detail; you've already said I know the details of how your chickens are currently penned that nobody can unless they were there or saw a picture, and I have no reason to lie about the good DC not being there:

All of the chickens are divided into two pens of one shed, the rest of it filled with hay, a greenhouse with no birds in it built on to the south end.
The only other birds are in front of the shed either in a quail cage or little pen for two adult guinea and a chick.
A border collie type dog with one blue eye in the little pen behind the shed and greenhouse.
To the south, two trailers on the other side of your living trailer, one loaded with old fencing, neither with chickens in them.
To the north, a shed with no animals in it, but some sheep were in a cornfield to the east.
No other pens, though there were two low strands of electric fence around the place; they were open and laying on the ground at the entrance.

I don't enjoy drama, and want to get back to talking about our projects with the birds we actually have. If you show the picture I asked for, I will honor my word, otherwise I'm done on this subject..

Last edited:
I truelly believe you could easily convince way too many people at some swaps you bred in a little pheasant, or parrot, to get the color.
yuckyuck.gif

If someone is interested in any of these white birds, shoot me a PM, I don't figure to keep them. They are a long way toward a self sustaining home meat/ layer flock. I am continueing with their colored siblings. White would make more sense, but I think it may stem from Dad always having nothing but white birds, like some variety.

I just don't have the time and money to have anything more going than I do now. Some of the chicks from your eggs had cushion combs, including one white if I remember right, and they were pretty soft feathered, so kind of regret not keeping some just for utility as they would have probably been good winter birds. My Cornish have always quit laying in the winter, don't know yet how these F1s will do as winter layers, though they've started laying at a young age and I hope they keep going.

I've sold, culled, or given away everything but the Cornish, the F1s and F2s from my project, and a pen of 4 layers for my immediate eating eggs. [And some 'scovies for an alternative meat] Still two pens of chicks to go through though, and doing weekly hatches from my Cornish right now..

To me, these birds you're breeding are great as a self-sustaining line just as they are if they lay eggs as large as those mine came from, and could be used to create blue laced Chanteclers, possibly even improve size if someone had whites running too small.. .

I too ended up with some cushion combs from the BLRCs, but I am willing to work on those and get a flock with the pea combs. I am just hoping I don't lose the Splash Lace roo I have out here. I just sorted pens and decided to keep 3 or 4 Black Laced pullets from the offspring of the ones I got from Big Meds dad. The Splash Laced ended up with the best type of the 3 AND a pea comb. I should have used him on the pullet I had in the beginning, but live and learn.

I too ended up with some cushion combs from the BLRCs, but I am willing to work on those and get a flock with the pea combs. I am just hoping I don't lose the Splash Lace roo I have out here. I just sorted pens and decided to keep 3 or 4 Black Laced pullets from the offspring of the ones I got from Big Meds dad. The Splash Laced ended up with the best type of the 3 AND a pea comb. I should have used him on the pullet I had in the beginning, but live and learn.
Actually I like a cushion comb, but don't know if the genetics of it works the same as the pea comb does in relationship to the blue egg gene. My F1, Ameraucana X CX birds are heterozygous for both blue eggs, muffs, and pea combs; they all have pea combs [though the cockerels have huge ones lol] and lay blue/green eggs. There's better than a 90% probability that their chicks with pea combs will carry a gene for blue eggs also, so I intend to cull their single combed chicks early. I think it might work the same with cushion combs, but not certain.

Is your intent to breed for harder feathering and better Cornish type for a blue laced red Cornish? [I don't recall if you've ever actually said that, but get that from the gist of your breeding goals.]

I would think that since the bird is still carrying the Pea Comb gene, that the blue egg gene would act like it does with pea combed birds. That is an interesting question though

Actually I like a cushion comb, but don't know if the genetics of it works the same as the pea comb does in relationship to the blue egg gene. My F1, Ameraucana X CX birds are heterozygous for both blue eggs, muffs, and pea combs; they all have pea combs [though the cockerels have huge ones lol] and lay blue/green eggs. There's better than a 90% probability that their chicks with pea combs will carry a gene for blue eggs also, so I intend to cull their single combed chicks early. I think it might work the same with cushion combs, but not certain.

Is your intent to breed for harder feathering and better Cornish type for a blue laced red Cornish? [I don't recall if you've ever actually said that, but get that from the gist of your breeding goals.]

I would think that since the bird is still carrying the Pea Comb gene, that the blue egg gene would act like it does with pea combed birds. That is an interesting question though
Yeah, I remember reading that a cushion comb is a genetic meld of pea and rose combs, and Big Med's birds have both of the latter types in their backgrounds. However, it seems to me that only a small percentage of pea x rose crosses are cushion combed, and I don't know what takes place when the meld occurs; neither do I know what occurs to break the connection of pea comb genes and blue egg genes in the small percentage that it does. I decided to take the safe route and not use cushion combed birds to breed into my project, wanting that tool of being able to cull the single combed F2s early to hopefully get my project line homozygous for blue/green eggs sooner.

Here re a few pics of he crosses I hatched out from Big Medicine. Luckily, I got 6 hens and 1roo From the dozen I got from him. It'll give me a nice sustainable meat flock. Really pretty to boot, love the lacing.

If tomorrow, goes easier than today did- Cedarknob- you'll have pictures of the Dark Cornish male with something around his neck- not sure what yet. I'm pretty limited with what I have available here right now. Might have to be a piece of wire- as the house is pretty much empty, as are every barn on the place.

If you have any other requests, let me know in the next 12 hours... as I'm meeting my mom tomorrow and all the birds are going down south until we get moved into the new house, and a bird house built... I will keep my three white Cornish juvie birds, and the quail with me though.

You don't have a very good memory of what birds you saw in what pens when you were here. Your description is about as far off as anything has been penned all summer and fall.

PS- I bet you didn't check the inside of the white shed west of the chicken house did you? Lots of birds in there that you missed seeing...

I'll try to get a picture for you, and I'll try to get some pictures of my young Cornish to show as well. I'm very happy.

I sold off most of my WLR Cornish yesterday, including 2 of my original hens. I just don't have much reason to keep them- the color is dominate, so I'll never lose it-- and I've got way to many sub projects going on with the colors I have.

Looks like I'll be keeping back about 6 Dark Cornish pullets, and the best of the 3 best cockerels this year. I've got 4 BLR chicks, which appear to be 2 of each sex-- the pullets will stay. And I've got my three white Cornish-- which appear to be a trio. None of my young birds have the shank, or Cornish extreme thickness that some have-- but that's fine for me at this stage of the game... That and I'm only feeding a standard 20% chick grower-- until they get mostly grown-- and in with the layer 16% feed they go. I don't have the space here that I will at the new house. And I don't have any interest in hatching eggs this fall or winter- so know use feeding the breeder ration until spring time.

If all works as planned-

The old Dark Cornish will breed his 2 best Dark Cornish daughters next spring.
The young DC cockerel will get the 2 remaining good bodied, good laced birds.
The Blue BLR cock will get the 2 poorer laced DC pullets and the BLR ones.
The whites will get each other..
and my WLR females will all get put under the darker BLR project cock-- along with my general egg layers.

I have one more little project to partake in... and it will a pair of full sibling blue laced blue birds with very cool color. They are from the Black Ameraucana hen, and the Blue BLR Cornish project male... They occurred after I lost the Amer cock to the heat this summer.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom