Red mites & broodies

Penny spender

Songster
5 Years
May 17, 2016
I've got 3 broodies right now with the first set due to hatch tomorrow. The original nest she was in is now occupied by a different hen. I went to pull out my sacrifice eggs today from the other hen (I've bought other eggs for her) and one of the eggs had 2 red mites on it. The ones due to hatch this week were moved to a fresh nest in a different building.

I have dusting powder. Can I treat my broodies that are sitting on eggs? What about the ones due to hatch tomorrow?
Help!!!

Yes, I would treat the broodies, and if possible the nesting box. Can you safely remove her bedding as well?

When she hatches the eggs, monitor the babies too, if you see any signs of them getting mites on them, then give them a light dusting as well. Mites will suck the life out of them.

You many also want to look over the rest of your flock and consider treating your coop/housing as well. A permetrhin spray would likely be easier to apply to your coop.

I will definitely be treating both coops and all chickens. My main concern is that the chicks are about to hatch. I worry that the dusting powder from mom's fluff will have negative affects on the newly hatched chicks/ready eggs.

I will definitely be treating both coops and all chickens. My main concern is that the chicks are about to hatch. I worry that the dusting powder from mom's fluff will have negative affects on the newly hatched chicks/ready eggs.
If it's a Permethrin based dust labeled for use in poultry, then it should be fine - you would want to apply dust your broody under the wings, around the vent and along her back. Do it outside of the box, so she can shake off excess.

I do understand your concern, but you need rid of the mites.

Back
Top Bottom