Red Mites Help

Sadhighway

Chirping
10 Years
Aug 17, 2011
I have bought some infested chickens, they are eating my chickens slowly . I have tried water, cooking fat and washing up liquid, Dematiaceous earth .frontline ( put on by the vet) yes I took all 12 chickens to the vet. Smoke bombs apple cider vinegar. johnson's Veterinary Poultry Mite and Lice Powder, Permethrin, bed bug solution with permethrin. Steamed the whole area and sleeping house ( omlett not wooden) bedding, given the sand and dematiaceous earth in a box for dusting , used the karcher jet wash on all of it, covered the chickens in dematiaceous earth. put oil on the chickens legs.

MITES are Still there ..please help as all the videos and the vet ( costing a leg and an arm).

It is getting to the last stage of giving up chickens completely.

If anyone knows a cure please help

Mites hatch every 5-7 days, and most treatments that work, have to be repeated at 7 days intervals to break the lifecycle. But when treatment is started, the coop, nest boxes, and roosts should be treated with chemicals as well, after the bedding is moved far away. Straw can harbor mites, and it can be brought in that way. DE is not helpful with an outbreak, and it can be dangerous for eyes and lungs of both you and the chickens.

Permethrin 10 spray in concentrate mixed with water per label instructions is what I would use. Spinosad products such as Elector PSP are very good as well, but more costly, however may need to be used less.

What is your coop like? I have heard that some have had to burn down coops to get rid of mites permanently, but that would be extreme. Some have mentioned pressure washing to get into nooks and crannies where they can hide. Mites can kill chickens, so I hope that you can get a handle on this.

Mites hatch every 5-7 days, and most treatments that work, have to be repeated at 7 days intervals to break the lifecycle. But when treatment is started, the coop, nest boxes, and roosts should be treated with chemicals as well, after the bedding is moved far away. Straw can harbor mites, and it can be brought in that way. DE is not helpful with an outbreak, and it can be dangerous for eyes and lungs of both you and the chickens.

Permethrin 10 spray in concentrate mixed with water per label instructions is what I would use. Spinosad products such as Elector PSP are very good as well, but more costly, however may need to be used less.

What is your coop like? I have heard that some have had to burn down coops to get rid of mites permanently, but that would be extreme. Some have mentioned pressure washing to get into nooks and crannies where they can hide. Mites can kill chickens, so I hope that you can get a handle on this.

I have omlet plastic chicken houses , I have sprayed and cleaned every 3 days for 3 months. They dont go away. I have been to the vets and the vet put the frontline on each one. The chickens as stated above have been plastered in dematiaceous earth. As im in the UK buying permethrin is not easy. jet washing with Karcher and the fluid should have done a lot to get rid but it has not. The chickens went to the vet last Saturday. The pen is still infested. ivermectin is a wormer for horses. I have tried to use the vets advice first but nothings working well . I have puppy pads in the nesting areas, they are white so I can see the mites well. I have sprayed the base of the pad, sprayed in the middle and used every different thing from smoke bombs onwards. Virbac indorex i used on carpets has been liberally sprayed in the bedding and pen and that should last 12 months.

Is the grass or dirt infested under your Omelet coop? I believe that ivermectin topical in a correct dosage may also be used to treat mites. Bathing them during warm weather with a lice treatment, and removing the chickens for a few days to a mite-free environment, while treating the coop or replacing it, might be something to think about. But if the grounds are also full of mites, they must be treated or the coop relocated. It sounds like a real challenge.

I dont think it will be as the dematiaceous earth is scattered about after the clean. some things cant be purchased here so I went to the vet and as i cant get rid of them i dont know what else to do. I will keep taking them but i think keeping chickens will be history .

I burnt all the wooden houses about 3 years ago as i bought chickens from an auction that were fully loaded. I had Mr Fox visit a while ago so had to buy some hens while the young grew up, now the babies have the mites and not even in the same area . Its a real battle. All i wanted was to have some chickens and keep them happy. its making us all miserable, there has to be a cure. as stated permethrin is not easy to get in the uk, i am waiting for it to come from usa. The permethrin I buy here is for scabies but I was told it may work on mites so bought a load of them. Still got mites

Is the grass or dirt infested under your Omelet coop? I believe that ivermectin topical in a correct dosage may also be used to treat mites. Bathing them during warm weather with a lice treatment, and removing the chickens for a few days to a mite-free environment, while treating the coop or replacing it, might be something to think about. But if the grounds are also full of mites, they must be treated or the coop relocated. It sounds like a real challenge.
Ouch the coop was £500 each.

I dont think it will be as the dematiaceous earth is scattered about after the clean. some things cant be purchased here so I went to the vet and as i cant get rid of them i dont know what else to do. I will keep taking them but i think keeping chickens will be history .

I burnt all the wooden houses about 3 years ago as i bought chickens from an auction that were fully loaded. I had Mr Fox visit a while ago so had to buy some hens while the young grew up, now the babies have the mites and not even in the same area . Its a real battle. All i wanted was to have some chickens and keep them happy. its making us all miserable, there has to be a cure. as stated permethrin is not easy to get in the uk, i am waiting for it to come from usa. The permethrin I buy here is for scabies but I was told it may work on mites so bought a load of them. Still got mites
I was wondering if you ever found a solution? I, too bought chickens that had Everything. Red mites, lice, Respiratory issues, Northern fowl mites, coccidiosis, worms, and probably everything else. I have built a new coop, used 7 dust, Permetherin dust, DE, permethrin concentrated 10% AND 38.7 % used ACV, Oil, Garlic bath, and been alternating the two Permethrins every week for 8 weeks, every 7 days. I didn't see any mites on the chickens but today in the run, I grabbed a handful of dirt from the bottom of my dog pen (that I use for a shelter and part of the run) and in one handful I bet I saw 10 red mites. I had my chickens for 4 months before I even knew it. I am new, first ones. Something that was supposed to bring me joy has caused me misery not counting over $1000.00. She saw me coming and screwed me good. I am at my wits end. I have cleaned out my coops, I have two, everytime and started from bottom up, even pouring glasses full aound the perimeter of coops, run and outside. Please let me know, I know this is an old post but I NEED HELP!

Back
Top Bottom