Red or white brooder light

Red light is for warmth, and white light is just for "Light". If you have babies then you need the red light but if you have adults then use the white light.
smile.png

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Red light is for warmth, and white light is just for "Light". If you have babies then you need the red light but if you have adults then use the white light.
smile.png

But I have 2 different heat lamp bulbs. One is red and the other white. They both seem to put out about the same heat.​

I used a white heat lamp 24/7 for my quail from hatch on. I don't know if its the 'right' thing to do, but I know that it worked for me.
-Z

FOR COTURINX quial either will work just fine... Other speces of gamebirds do much better with red, but coturnix are more docile and brooder pecking does'nt usually become a problem with them.

Usually you do it with breeds of puoltry who are more aggresive so if they draw blood they wont see it as it blends in with the red light.I havent raised baby quail yet but for chickens and ducks I personally like white becouse you can see them better and they usually wont peck at each other.

They use the red ones because if a bird starts bleeding it is harder for the others to see blood with a red light.The white light exposes the blood and the little cannibals start to peck.I recommend you use red lights throughout the brooding.The 1 st week temp should be about 95 degrees and drop 5 degrees each week until they are feathered.I use a 250 watt heat light the 1st week a 100 watt red bulb(painted) the 2nd,75 watt red bulb(painted)the 3rd,60 watt the 4th and then they shouldn't require heat,unless the re is a cold snap.I buy reg house light bulbs and spray paint them red.
In N.H.,Tony.

Quote:
I wouldn't suggest painting a light bulb. It may be a fire hazard.

I only use white light bulbs myself. I use a 250 watt until that gets to warm then switch to a 100 watt bulb. You can adjust the heat by raising the bulb away from them.

Quote:
I wouldn't suggest painting a light bulb. It may be a fire hazard.

I only use white light bulbs myself. I use a 250 watt until that gets to warm then switch to a 100 watt bulb. You can adjust the heat by raising the bulb away from them.

While fire hazard is the biggest problem with that idea, the fumes from the baking paint would surely harm the little guys.

I have used both and since I have not had a pecking/bloody issue I don't know if it matters yet. The white bulbs seem to be much cheaper in price
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom