Red Orpington?

kulangi

Songster
9 Years
Jul 8, 2010
Is there a red orpington? If yes, which crossing of the breeds result in red orpington?

Quote:
I know that Miss Prissy has one. Some guy was always trying to steal it, but I'm pretty sure that he never succeeded. Then again, I'm pretty sure he chickened out when he learned what would undoubtedly happen to him as a result of her being ever-alert.

Originally i was going to show thiese two as Red Orpingtons in our Lebanon IN Show. But was talked into entering them in as New Hampshire Reds. These two are from an accidental Speckled Sussex and Buff Orpington breeding in Feb.
Look an Orange Red to me. But I will enter them as New hampshire Reds.

000_7474.jpg

000_7703.jpg

I would think Red Orpingtons would be more correct as they have white leg color and loose feathering.New Hampshires have dilute in the hackles yellow legs and tighter feathering.

They have some nice ones in Germany. If you search the web for Orps you will find them

Quote:
I agree with you Dan. Plus the breeding of the two to each other will most likely not reproduce true to this color in their offspring. I would normally say take a BO to a RIR and see what you get. BUT, you would have to hatch huge numbers and be dedicated to that project to get one or two with type and the looser feathering. Plus the RIR would have yellow legs, which will breed out in 5 out of 6 of their offspring to white skin, so that is not a major issue IF one wants to do a Red Orp project with RIRs. I think type is the big road block for either using SS or RIR to a big Buff Orp. Or just go to UK and buy an English Red and bring it back.

what would be the distinguishable feature of red orpington to RIR, New Hampshire Red and Buckeye?

Quote:
Not sure I would do RIR to Red Orpington, I think you may mean to Buff Orpington. That feature would be a single color pattern gene. The Speckeled Sussex has the gene for the Specekled look with a red bird. RIR is just one color, Buff is a Red gene so the two together would prolly be the best route. You will get some that look closer to Buff in color and some closer to red. Hoping for the Fluff and Orp type.

Quote:
I am curious as well. So hard to tell the difference ... but from the look of the picture,

RO
!CEuESYQB2k~$(KGrHqZ,!k4E1F3)1NyUBNSwb7b4Iw~~_3.JPG

Fluffy, white legs, looks like Orpington
lol.png

RIR
Very similar to RO but not fluffy and not as large.

rhode-island-red-chicken.jpg

NH

I would mistake them for RIR but that's me (This breed come from RIR). But I would think they are not as dark red as RIR. I may even spot some blackness in them.

newhampshire.jpg

Buckeye

Now this breed easily distinguishable by their Buckeyes
smile.png
...also a breed that come from RIR
large_Buckeye-Peninsula.jpg

(Pictures courtesy of Google Image. I do not own any of those above chicken and only saw the RIR in real life
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom