Red Pyle OEGB Genetics? Don't breed true?

ChickenLeg

Crowing
12 Years
Feb 15, 2012
In the chicken calculator Red Pyle x Red Pyle = 75% Red Pyle 25% BBR?
Why is this so? Can the 25% BBR be used in a BBR or would this be a bad idea?

Screen Shot 2018-12-09 at 4.27.11 PM.png

The feather color known as PYLE is not a color in and of itself but rather a color pattern that comes to the forefront when the blue color is inbred, usually brother to sister for several generations. It is said that if you want to make sure that your blue color game chickens are pure blues that inbreeding blue chickens brother to sister will eventually result in Pyle color patters. At the very least Blue game chickens can at anytime be any color from Black Breasted Reds, to Lemon Hackles, to Regular Grays, to Spangles, to Pumpkins, to Brown Reds, to Duck Wing Grays etc etc etc.

Red Pyle is dominant white over Black Breasted Red.
Therefore, if a female carrying 1 copy of dom white crosses with a male carrying 1 copy of dom white, then 1/8 of all offspring will have two copies of dom white, 2/8 will have one copy and 1/8 will have no copy.
Any offsping with any copies of dom white will be Red Pyle. Those without will be BBR.
The BBR offspring will be fine to use for producing BBR offspring as they cannot pass on the dom white gene.

The feather color known as PYLE is not a color in and of itself but rather a color pattern that comes to the forefront when the blue color is inbred, usually brother to sister for several generations. It is said that if you want to make sure that your blue color game chickens are pure blues that inbreeding blue chickens brother to sister will eventually result in Pyle color patters. At the very least Blue game chickens can at anytime be any color from Black Breasted Reds, to Lemon Hackles, to Regular Grays, to Spangles, to Pumpkins, to Brown Reds, to Duck Wing Grays etc etc etc.

Im not sure I follow about the blues, you might need to explain the genetics better for me.

I know with wheatens if you have a blue wheaten over blue wheaten then 50% are blue wheaten, 25% wheaten, and 25% end up splash wheatens which look just like red plye. From what I read, red pyles are BBR with a white dominate gene, so Im trying to understand why they still throw 25% BBR and 75% red pyle instead of 100% red pyle of the time?

Therefore, if a female carrying 1 copy of dom white crosses with a male carrying 1 copy of dom white, then 1/8 of all offspring will have two copies of dom white, 2/8 will have one copy and 1/8 will have no copy.
Any offsping with any copies of dom white will be Red Pyle. Those without will be BBR.
The BBR offspring will be fine to use for producing BBR offspring as they cannot pass on the dom white gene.
ok thanks I was typing my last reply when you responded, exactly what I needed.

Thank you both for putting in your inputs!

After reading your explanation, Im curious if you use offspring with 2 copies of dom white with each other why wouldnt all of their offspring still be red pyle why would 25% still be bbr?

* Also did you mean 1/4* 2/4* and 1/4* instead of 1/8, 2/8, and 1/8?

After reading your explanation, Im curious if you use offspring with 2 copies of dom white with each other why wouldnt all of their offspring still be red pyle why would 25% still be bbr?

* Also did you mean 1/4* 2/4* and 1/4* instead of 1/8, 2/8, and 1/8?
No, I mean out of 8. 12.5%, 25%, 12.5%.

Parents with two copies of dom white will produce 100% Red Pyle offspring.

Red pyle means different things in different breeds.
One red pyle is dominate white over BBR. That type does breed true 100% of the time if they're true pyle. Meaning two copies of dominate white.
Yes if you bred single gene dominate whites you will get some BBRs. A pyle with only one copy will almost always have some black specks in various areas.
The other type is splash breasted red. I can't agree with what the other posters explained.
What I can see he was maybe talking about was blue breasted reds being bred together producing some splash breasted reds. Those are just BBS breasted reds and breed regarding the BBS as any other BBS breeds. It has nothing to do with inbreeding and blue is blue there's no true blue vs a non true blue or whatever he is trying to say.

Red pyle means different things in different breeds.
One red pyle is dominate white over BBR. That type does breed true 100% of the time if they're true pyle. Meaning two copies of dominate white.
Yes if you bred single gene dominate whites you will get some BBRs. A pyle with only one copy will almost always have some black specks in various areas.
The other type is splash breasted red. I can't agree with what the other posters explained.
What I can see he was maybe talking about was blue breasted reds being bred together producing some splash breasted reds. Those are just BBS breasted reds and breed regarding the BBS as any other BBS breeds. It has nothing to do with inbreeding and blue is blue there's no true blue vs a non true blue or whatever he is trying to say.
Okay thanks, it must be the chicken calculator Im using then. Because I couldnt understand why it was saying 25% would end up as BBR when red pyle and red pyle were crossed.

Back
Top Bottom