Red Ranger Breast Meat?

Newchickenguy

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 20, 2012
Can someone who has raised the redbro/redranger meat chickens tell me if you get the large amount of white breast meat that you get from the normal white broiler meat bird. If not, do you still get more meat from there breast than a heritage meat chicken?

You get much more than heritage type chicken. But not quite as much as from a commerical broiler - it's still a lot.

I suppose this depends on the strain you go with.

Colored rangers, if grown to about 11-14wks, will provide a good quantity of breast meat as compared to some heritage breeds.

There are some heritage breeds that do provide a very nice amount of breast meat (thinking of buff orphington's and maran's) - but NOTHING like a CX like what's in your grocery store.

I posted a photo comparison of my Black Java's (heritage breed) vs. Freedom Ranger vs. CX - here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/746021/photo-comparison-java-freedom-ranger-cx-carcasses

Sometimes photos do all the work for words!

Please know that a CX gets to be about 5#'s in typically 8-10wks.
A Colored Ranger gets to be about 5#'s in typically 11-14wks.
A Heritage Breed gets to be about 5#'s in typically 18-26wks.

It's all about feed costs to some folks - to other's it's meat texture - to others it's sustainability and eco-consciousness......just depends what your goals are. Yes, we eat all our "extra" heritage cockerals. But we raise a batch of colored rangers and a batch of CX because each type of meat cooks a different way. And being a good cook - I like the variety!

*edited for stupid typo's! Don't have a kitten help you type!*

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom