Red Ranger in Vegetarian's Flock

Louise Waffles

Chirping
Feb 1, 2017
A non-chicken keeping neighbor found a red ranger rooster and buff orp in a cardboard box on his porch. I took them in (maybe they were meant for me anyway), quarantined for 8 weeks, etc etc. Anyway, I only recently found out Jack was a red ranger broiler. Since all chickens and ducks here live their natural lives, I'm wondering what the natural life span of a broiler is?

Almost a parallel universe. Only difference is a gentleman came by my house and asked if I would take in these 2 orphans. One a Red sex link, and the other a cornish X. I gave the CX to someone else since I could not keep it for a few reasons. The Red sex link I still have and she is laying well. Short story... The CornishX expired about a month after so she lived about 1 year Give or Take. Broilers usually live about 8 weeks and are processed. If you keep one longer, then the result will be ether heart failure, or broken bones. There are some peeps that have kept them up to 2 years, but had to restrict their diets.
WISHING YOU BEST and
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Almost a parallel universe.   Only difference is a gentleman  came by my house and asked if I would take in these 2 orphans.   One a Red sex link, and the other a cornish X.  I gave the CX to someone else since I could not keep it for a few reasons.   The Red sex link I still have and she is laying well.   Short story... The CornishX expired about a month after so she lived about 1 year Give or Take.  Broilers usually live about 8 weeks and are processed.   If you keep one longer, then the result will be ether heart failure, or broken bones. There are some peeps that have kept them up to 2 years, but had to restrict their diets.
WISHING YOU BEST and :welcome

Thank you for the information. I knew it wouldn't be good...I will do what I can, for as long as is good for him. Poor guy, he's such a sweet tempered fellow.

But, the red rangers aren't Cornish crosses. Several folks on these boards have held them over for breeding the next year with no problems. They do tend to get huge, and I've heard the roosters can be very aggressive with mating, so some folks have culled them for that reason. But they've not had the cardiac or leg issues Cornish cross tend toward.

Red Rangers are slow broilers and can live to maturity without too many problems. I doubt they have quite the max lifespan of a normal bird but I'm sure they could live at least several years. You'll want to watch for bumblefoot and, during the summer, overheating. Also, do not keep him with any standard sized hens. My Red Ranger cockbird had to be culled as although he was not particularly aggresive, he was so massive he crushed several hens to death before I realized what was happening.

Last edited:
Okay, so I'll put him in a run INSIDE the run, he can still be around the chickens, but not crush them. And of course, extra attention in the summer. Hopefully he'll do okay for a while.

Back
Top Bottom