Crowing
6 Years
Apr 15, 2017
Western New York
My Coop
My Coop
CA126A3F-306A-41DF-A3C7-A17740905AFE.jpeg
849405FB-0EA1-439F-BD25-2370C09AFB3F.jpeg
Over the long winter the hens got bored and 2 of them started feather plucking, mostly the cockerel’s long neck feathers and his chest feathers. Now that the weather is (sort of) better and they can spend more time outside, I haven’t seen much plucking. While I’ve been watching this week I haven’t seen any plucking at all. But...The last few days there is a red, raw spot on his neck that is getting a little bigger each day. I have tried blue kote, tee tree oil, and neosporin (no pain reliever, just triple antibiotic). Nothing seems to alleviate the redness. It’s a hard spot to keep covered since it’s on his neck. I really have no place to keep him to separate him, and I’m not even sure if it’s due to plucking. Anyone have any suggestions what I can put on it to help it heal and/ or deter further plucking (if that’s the cause)?

It looks like something pecked him, scratched him, or he pulled a few neck feathers out, probably because of a protein deficiency. Chickens are cannibals and if they see blood, boom, they're there, pecking and making it worse. I would say separating him would be a great idea. I realize that that's probably not the most convenient idea, but it will help him heal. I would use a large dog crate if you have one. Keep using the neosporin on it and try some Melaluca essential oil; does wonders for their skin. So I would say start feeding your birds a higher level protein for just a little while and keep doing all your're doing. A lot of times the only way to keep this from getting worse is to separate him, at least for a few days until the hens forget about it. I have also seen these crow-preventing thingys that wraps around a roo's chest that keep him from crowing. If you can't separate him, maybe you could try one of those to protect his chest. Just Google them.;) Hope he starts feeling better!

It looks like something pecked him, scratched him, or he pulled a few neck feathers out, probably because of a protein deficiency. Chickens are cannibals and if they see blood, boom, they're there, pecking and making it worse. I would say separating him would be a great idea. I realize that that's probably not the most convenient idea, but it will help him heal. I would use a large dog crate if you have one. Keep using the neosporin on it and try some Melaluca essential oil; does wonders for their skin. So I would say start feeding your birds a higher level protein for just a little while and keep doing all your're doing. A lot of times the only way to keep this from getting worse is to separate him, at least for a few days until the hens forget about it. I have also seen these crow-preventing thingys that wraps around a roo's chest that keep him from crowing. If you can't separate him, maybe you could try one of those to protect his chest. Just Google them.;) Hope he starts feeling better!
Thanks for the suggestions. I have thought about the protein issue, their feed is 18% protein and since the plucking started I have supplemented with meal worms daily just in case. Due to the weather they were stuck indoors for about a month, that’s when this all began- but getting down to the skin just started. I will check for that oil, thanks!

Is he perhaps going thru a small molt in that area?
He’s going to be a year old next month... do they molt at 11 months old?
The only other possible clue is that I found about 5 of his long tail feathers in a pile in the corner of the run yesterday... 2 looked broken off and 3 were intact like they had been plucked or fell out. Not sure what happened there.

I would check for lice around his neck and under his wings, or mites. He could be scratching the area raw, pecking himself, or others could be keeping the area red and inflamed. You could apply some menthol (generic BenGay) ointment to the red area to soothe him, and to hopefully keep them from pecking. If there are mites or lice, treatment with permethrin or spinosad is recommended at 7-10 day intervals, along with treating the coop. I would also try to get them outside daily to free range to alleviate boredom. If this doesn’t help, I would seek a vet’s help for other medicines, such as prednisone for inflammation.

I would check for lice around his neck and under his wings, or mites. He could be scratching the area raw, pecking himself, or others could be keeping the area red and inflamed. You could apply some menthol (generic BenGay) ointment to the red area to soothe him, and to hopefully keep them from pecking. If there are mites or lice, treatment with permethrin or spinosad is recommended at 7-10 day intervals, along with treating the coop. I would also try to get them outside daily to free range to alleviate boredom. If this doesn’t help, I would seek a vet’s help for other medicines, such as prednisone for inflammation.
That could certainly be a reason. Lice can sneak up on you without you realizing it.

One thing you can do to see if it is mites is to go out to the coop in the dark with a bright flashlight, Shine it directly on the roost near where the chickens are roosting. Usually if you have mites in your coop you can see little red dots moving around on the roost. This only works at night but it is the easiest fastest way I know of to rule in or out mites. I use food grade DE to treat for mites and wood ash. a dust bath of wood ash is a valuable addition to your run. Good luck and hopefully your Roo will be all better soon ;)

I have checked on several occasions for mites and lice- during the day and at night, on the chickens themselves, the roosting area, and on any feathers I found on the coop floor. No signs of anything. One of the hens was at the vet for a laceration on her side last week and during her exam the vet said she didn’t see any signs of lice or mites either.

I may have to take him to the vet too to get to the bottom of this and to treat it if it gets worse, but catching him and stuffing him into a cat carrier will be quite the chore, so I’m hoping to figure out how to fix this myself!

I have checked on several occasions for mites and lice- during the day and at night, on the chickens themselves, the roosting area, and on any feathers I found on the coop floor. No signs of anything. One of the hens was at the vet for a laceration on her side last week and during her exam the vet said she didn’t see any signs of lice or mites either.

I may have to take him to the vet too to get to the bottom of this and to treat it if it gets worse, but catching him and stuffing him into a cat carrier will be quite the chore, so I’m hoping to figure out how to fix this myself!
If you have a cat carrier they work great for transporting Chickens too.
AND If you catch the Roo the night before you go to the vet he will be easy to just pluck off the roost after he goes in for the night.

Good Luck! Hope he is better soon. If you take him in keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom