1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Red Rocks in Botton of Run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SumterMama8, Apr 6, 2016.

1. SumterMama8

SumterMama8 New Egg

Apr 6, 2016
    Recently I visited a farmers-owned feed store and they had a beautiful chicken coop out back where they used a red colored rock from Purina...almost like lava rock in the bottom of their coop. They said they've been using it for 7 months now and it's been great and the clean up is super easy because all you have to do is spray the rocks off with a hose/water and the poo goes straight into the ground. We are beginning to work on our coop for our 8 girls this week and I'm considering using this idea but I can't find any other reviews on this topic? Anybody else out there try this and if so,what are your thoughts on odor, cleanup, and overall well-being of the girls standing on this for hours while I'm not home and they can't free range? Thank you!

2. 0wen

0wen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2016
    Southwest Virginia
    I would think it to be uncomfortable (at best) for their feet and likely to cause injury.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by