Red roost mites... do I treat the chicken or not? Discard eggs?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Berritt, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Berritt

Berritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2010
    I bought some permethrine powder(Garden and poultry dust) and I cleaned out the nest boxes and put a little powder in there and then put new pine shavings on top. I checked the birds skin, and they don't look irritated at all. I can't find any bugs on the girls. I only happened to see a few last night crawling on 2 eggs. I usually get the eggs in the daytime, I am reading that these mites are active at night, so i suppose the late gathering of eggs was a good thing.

I also got some DE. I plan to use that on a regular basis now.

I have read a few threads here... but I didn't see whether I was supposed to put this powder on the chickens. And since it says that the mites don't live on the chickens, but in the coop, is it necessary if I powder the coop?

Also, do I need to discard the eggs laid while we are treating for mites?

After I treat with the powder, do I just add the DE to the coop with each cleaning?

I hate bugs. I am so grossed out. It's also been raining a lot, I read mites like warm weather so why are they here now? I was cleaning out the coop and only found 1 little red mite in the shavings I took out of the coop. I don't see any in the cracks. How do I get the powder onto everything. It's in a shaker? Can I add water and put it in a spray bottle to spray the ceiling and directly in the cracks?

Thanks!

2. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
  3. Berritt

Berritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2010
    Got it. Thanks.

So do I keep the eggs? Can I add water to get it into the little cracks between wood panels?

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by