Red rooster with white tail feathers

OK, just for educational purposes.

If you put a gold(red) male (many breeds would work) over a silver(white) female the first gen, ie, F1's would be sex linked, ie the males would hatch out mostly white (with some red tints) while the pullets would be reddish with white tints.

This male is a reverse. So, if you bred back the F1's, a percentage of the F2 would produce cockerels with that look. Orange rusty birds with some white, mostly in the tail section. That would be one way to make a male with that coloration, but not the only way.

Thanks. That was very informative and helpful. I am very new to raising chickens as last year was my first and when I start something I like to learn as much about it as possible. Thanks again for the time and information.

It's not a breed. It's a barnyard mix. Sometimes, that's just fine. He may well be a "reverse engineered" Red Sex link but that would be idle speculation and even that would be a mix/mutt/barnyard chicken in itself.

If he's a good bird? No worries.
x3

Here are the pictures of my red and white rooster I was asking about as promised. Also the second rooster in question is in the second and fourth pictures. Could it be a Buff Orpington or a Chantecler? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for all the help. I was given both roosters from a guy who didn't want them anymore. He wasn't sure of anything about them so I was just trying to get some input. They are both very gentle friendly guys. Especially the Buff. Thanks again for the help.

OK, just for educational purposes.

If you put a gold(red) male (many breeds would work) over a silver(white) female the first gen, ie, F1's would be sex linked, ie the males would hatch out mostly white (with some red tints) while the pullets would be reddish with white tints.

This male is a reverse. So, if you bred back the F1's, a percentage of the F2 would produce cockerels with that look. Orange rusty birds with some white, mostly in the tail section. That would be one way to make a male with that coloration, but not the only way.

Actually in the first picture, silver has nothing to do with the coloration. He is simply RIR colored with Dominant White added- that is how he(and all red sex links) are red with white on tails ane necks.

It would be a very good guess for him to be out of red sex link hen bred with RIR or production red rooster- this would produce birds with this coloring in both sexes.

Here are the pictures of my red and white rooster I was asking about as promised. Also the second rooster in question is in the second and fourth pictures. Could it be a Buff Orpington or a Chantecler? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Beard and pea combs and by the reason for being an extremely common backyard breed indicate Easter Egger as likely parent.

I would say the first roo is likely EE roo over a red sex link hen. A known cross would produce many birds exactly like him. I would agree second one is EE over a Buff Orpington. Buff Orpington because his neck and tail feathers are solid colored, a very difficult thing to achieve.. Buff Orpingtons have many genes to turn their feathers solid colored so I think that's a reasonable guess.

If you hatch chicks out these and some daughters lay green eggs, that would be the final clincher of EE being part of the ancestry.

Last edited:
Beard and pea combs and by the reason for being an extremely common backyard breed indicate Easter Egger as likely parent.

I would say the first roo is likely EE roo over a red sex link hen. A known cross would produce many birds exactly like him. I would agree second one is EE over a Buff Orpington. Buff Orpington because his neck and tail feathers are solid colored, a very difficult thing to achieve.. Buff Orpingtons have many genes to turn their feathers solid colored so I think that's a reasonable guess.

If you hatch chicks out these and some daughters lay green eggs, that would be the final clincher of EE being part of the ancestry.
Yeah the red and white one does have a little beard thing going on there. The Buff rooster doesn't. I was actually kind of Curious what it would look like if I crossed the red and white with my Wyandottes or Welsummers.

Back
Top Bottom