Red Scabby Spot on silkie chickens chest

Mariosmom

Chirping
Jul 23, 2022
Hello!

I discovered this morning that one of my hens was acting sluggish. I did an inspection and found this spot underneath her chest. The area isn’t raised… just a scab. I quickly isolated her and did a thorough check of my other 4. No signs of anything like this!

Her vent looks fine and so has her poo. Up until this morning she has been very active and been a great eater.

All I can find online is a possible mite or lice infestation but I would have assumed I would notice something on my other birds. Everyone is getting a personalized dust bath later but I’m worried about this scab. Will it just fall off? Do I need to isolate if I’m treating everyone. She is relatively new to my crew and her sister is all by her lonesome until I can fully integrate.

Any advice/treatments are appreciated!

Attachments

• 37E59864-B190-4190-A253-A4528F2B7940.jpeg
    37E59864-B190-4190-A253-A4528F2B7940.jpeg
    508.4 KB · Views: 15
Do you have any VET RX spray? If you are concerned about mites you can take a blue light at night and check their perches. Depending on your height of the perches, it could be from repeatedly rubbing on them. It is most common for broilers to get that though.

There is no need to isolate her from others. This may be a breast blister or sore from laying down on damp ground or on a rough roost bar. Did she roost at her previous home, or sleep on the floor? It might be from feather picking or self picking. I would use some disinfectant on it, such as Betadine, chlorhexidene (Hibiclens,) or wound spray. Then a bit of plain antibiotic ointment would be okay. Look her over for any lice or mites running around on her skin.

Do you have any VET RX spray? If you are concerned about mites you can take a blue light at night and check their perches. Depending on your height of the perches, it could be from repeatedly rubbing on them. It is most common for broilers to get that though.
I have this spray… will this work? All of my crew is less than a year old and have started perching while they sleep. Hoping that happens soon!

Attachments

• BC35EE6B-3903-481E-BE62-57C6D0CB12A6.jpeg
    BC35EE6B-3903-481E-BE62-57C6D0CB12A6.jpeg
    406.3 KB · Views: 5
There is no need to isolate her from others. This may be a breast blister or sore from laying down on damp ground or on a rough roost bar. Did she roost at her previous home, or sleep on the floor? It might be from feather picking or self picking. I would use some disinfectant on it, such as Betadine, chlorhexidene (Hibiclens,) or wound spray. Then a bit of plain antibiotic ointment would be okay. Look her over for any lice or mites running around on her skin.
It’s very hard feeling. I noticed a much smaller dot on the other side so sprayed that as well. I’m ok to dust bathe her while using the vet Rx? When should I worry about the not eating and drinking and consider feeding her?

Back
Top Bottom