Red Sex Links not laying 26wks

I know this reply is 11 years late lol but I was worrying about my chickens. The supplier who sold them to me said they would lay at 16 weeks but they're now 20 weeks and their wattles and comb are still small. I don't have any roosters. And they love hiding under the car and the tree where it's very dark during the noon time. I don't know if it's the amount of daylight, lack of rooster or protein. I started giving them layer mash just to see if they will lay.

I don't know if it's the amount of daylight, lack of rooster or protein. I started giving them layer mash just to see if they will lay.
Nothing to do with a male bird.
Amount of daylight definitely a factor.
Diet can be a factor too.
Layer feed will not 'make' them lay, they should not get layer feed until they are all laying.
Many folks never feed layer formulation, just provide Oyster Shell in a separate feeder.
Here's some tips on how to tell...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Nothing to do with a male bird.
Amount of daylight definitely a factor.
Diet can be a factor too.
Layer feed will not 'make' them lay, they should not get layer feed until they are all laying.
Many folks never feed layer formulation, just provide Oyster Shell in a separate feeder.
Here's some tips on how to tell...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/
What should u feed them if not feed formulation? If u say oats and sunflowers, those are expensive where I'm from. I Wana avoid formulation but it has delayed their laying. The supplier told me his other buyers already started getting eggs because they feed them formulation. They got eggs at 16 weeks. They're currently around 22 weeks now but I haven't got a single egg. I fed them formulation for 2 weeks now but I don't see it being practical in the long run. I don't want my chickens to be dependent on formulation to lay. I used to give them grains (wheat, corn, peas). At times I throw them some bread, rice, kitchen scraps.

What should u feed them if not feed formulation?
Layer formulation.
I feed an 'all flock' type feed (20% protein and ~1% calcium) because I have all ages and genders and have a separate small feeder for oyster shell for the actively laying birds.
There are lots of different formulations...starter, grower, finisher, layer, all flock, etc.
Good to learn how to read the nutrition percentages and ingredients tags sewn into bottom of feed bags.

The first three pics are of each of the three red sex links. The second picture is of the chicken that is the loudest and most aggressive of the three, but it does this weird squat when I touch it to move it out of the way which I thought maybe a hen behavior but I don't know. The last picture includes an ameracauna hen that is now 1.5 yrs old for size reference.What do you think, do any of the sex-links seem like roos?

39746_beaks.jpg

39746_loudest.jpg

39746_runt_1.jpg

39746_reference.jpg

Thank you everyone for all your help.
If they are red sex Link, they are hens. They are cross between a Rhode Island Roo and a Leghorn Hen. Hens will be red and Roos are white. (Backwards from their parents) That is how they can sell them to you as hens and bit straight run. You can tell when they are babies.

Are they getting enough grit?

Back
Top Bottom