Red vs Mahogany vs Copper

Here is my two cents for what it’s worth.

The attached buckeye is a nice even mahogany.
The heritage RIRs that were previously posted are a decent example of “Red”.
The attached RIR (not mine) but I have very very similar are a very good deep red outlined in the SOP.
The attached cornish is a decent example of a “copper” color.
Lighting can effect the way color looks very easily. My buckeyes are a wonderful mahogany color but in the shade or poor lighting they can look as dark as that RIR (of which they are not). This was actually mentioned in the creators notes as she described the breed.

Attachments

• A1FECA79-A3FF-4389-B8BC-FD7EB6A35763.jpeg
    A1FECA79-A3FF-4389-B8BC-FD7EB6A35763.jpeg
    127.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 3422A7D6-EC7D-409A-B41B-E0D1D87A8033.jpeg
    3422A7D6-EC7D-409A-B41B-E0D1D87A8033.jpeg
    782.4 KB · Views: 8
  • DA287C94-0608-42E9-AB62-C0229F58512E.jpeg
    DA287C94-0608-42E9-AB62-C0229F58512E.jpeg
    600.8 KB · Views: 9
Sex link gold(s+)+ Mahogany(Mh/Mh) + Autosomal red(Ap/Ap) + unknown red enhancers can make a bird look so dark they would appear to be nearly black.

For example Spangled OEGB(no they not genetically spangled but recessive mottling instead) are wildtype duckwing in phenotype with all possible red enhancers one could find.

View attachment 1847777

View attachment 1847782

See? Before this thread, I never would have guessed that red and mahogany genes would make a chicken really dark like that. Love the things I learn here!

Here is my two cents for what it’s worth.

The attached buckeye is a nice even mahogany.
The heritage RIRs that were previously posted are a decent example of “Red”.
The attached RIR (not mine) but I have very very similar are a very good deep red outlined in the SOP.
The attached cornish is a decent example of a “copper” color.
Lighting can effect the way color looks very easily. My buckeyes are a wonderful mahogany color but in the shade or poor lighting they can look as dark as that RIR (of which they are not). This was actually mentioned in the creators notes as she described the breed.

So, in this case, the red bird is the darker of the two? Not the mahogany? Well, geez, that makes things as clear as mud, lol. :confused:

Both of those birds are gorgeous though, no matter what color you call them.

I have an Easter Egger that I would consider "copper," though I've never actually heard that color used to describe EEs. Not sure if others would agree though. And yes, I know they are a mix and not a true breed, but I'm just talking color here. When I think "copper" though, this color is exactly what comes to mind; however, she is lighter than your example.
Chickens-4523.jpg

To be honest, it never occurred to me as I haven't drawn or painted many chickens ... yet. Just a couple of quick sketches of them so far. I really just dabble and I don't spend nearly as much time on it as I would like. So many other interests in life, my days always seem so full. And for most of the spring, my studio was a chicken brooder. Still cleaning up the dust from that fiasco. :rolleyes: Before that, it was a NICU for a trio of sick kittens. :lol:

Maybe I'll start an art thread in the hobbies section. Not today though. Today, I am making pickles. :p
Home-made pickles ... another fine work of art ... not everyone has the touch!

Yes. a true SOP RIR will be darker by today’s standards that a mahogany buckeye. But the buckeye will have a darker shade than the heritage RIR (the color of the RIR from many years ago).

To clarify, the Rhode Island Reds that I posted of my own birds I would not have considered Heritage or show quality, which is why I said I sold them as Production versus Heritage RIR and why I believe they are red, lacking the mahogany gene to darken their plumage.

See? Before this thread, I never would have guessed that red and mahogany genes would make a chicken really dark like that. Love the things I learn here!

So, in this case, the red bird is the darker of the two? Not the mahogany? Well, geez, that makes things as clear as mud, lol. :confused:

Both of those birds are gorgeous though, no matter what color you call them.

I have an Easter Egger that I would consider "copper," though I've never actually heard that color used to describe EEs. Not sure if others would agree though. And yes, I know they are a mix and not a true breed, but I'm just talking color here. When I think "copper" though, this color is exactly what comes to mind; however, she is lighter than your example.
View attachment 1847832
That's a pretty EE!

My head is spinning! But those are all beautiful birds, @greybird11 !
Thank you. To further prove my point; regarding lighting and it’s effects on color... this male appears to be as dark as a SOP RIR but in actuality has a wonderful Mahogany sheen when in proper light. Lighting can make a bird look different shades and be deceiving.

Attachments

• 95C5C600-2849-4697-8924-D2B051C311A7.jpeg
    95C5C600-2849-4697-8924-D2B051C311A7.jpeg
    327 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom