Red worms in poo UPDATE** 9/22/11

will do. they stretch out as well. like they are reaching for the sky. At first, i was wondering if maybe they were a lice or mite on her behind that were sticking to her poo when she went as she is a Cochin fluffy butt. I havent been able to to grab her yet to look. I doubt that's it anyway. not when they are stretchy and stuff.

at least i have Valbazene in the fridge already. She has been wierd since i got her from the hatchery at a day old. (Meyers hatchery) what about the 'red skin" that I am seeing in the poo? like the 'intestinal shedding". any clue?

My poor girl.... I have not seen these in any of my other flock at all.

I'm not sure about the worms--but I think it may be tapeworm--the "red skin" is most likely just intestinal shedding which is normal....I would still check with vet about the worms...

Just got back from the Vets. It's really cool when you can stump even an avian vet!!!!!!!
tongue.png
he spent over an hour with me, the microscope and Peaches' poo. Seems there are more than one issue going on. worm, parasites, and coccidia. He has never seen that type of worm and that color before in birds. He is going with a type of tapeworm. he thinks the red is the intestinal tissue yes. he told me to go ahead and treat with the Valbazene, I was ok to have treated with Ivermectin already, he gave me some Albon to give to her directly once a day for 10 days, and gave me some liquid Albon to put in the water for the rest as a preventative.

What ''cha think Dawg???

never thought about hook worm. I will have to go look that one up.

Quote:
I agree with your vet and others here who posted shed intestinal lining and tapeworm. The albon will get the cocci. Valbazen will get the tapes and any other internal parasites. You'll probably have to dose your birds several times with the valbazen, tapes are tough to get rid of. I recommend that you set up a regular worming schedule to prevent and treat further infestations.

Back
Top Bottom