reflection of first time chx kill

It's hard to kill something you know and have cared for. But, that's how it should be . . . a difficult but necessary thing to do.
It's not only hard to kill a chicken you have cared for, but for me.......it's also hard to eat it. Because as I sit down at the table, the face and body of that bird appear before me.

It's not only hard to kill a chicken you have cared for, but for me.......it's also hard to eat it. Because as I sit down at the table, the face and body of that bird appear before me.
The first few times processing chickens, we put them in the freezer for several weeks, maybe even a few months, before eating them. The passage of time helped, as well as the intermingling of the chickens in the freezer, so I didn't know who was who when I pulled one out.

Now, I'm fine with eating a butchered chicken after the standard 2-3 day rest period in the fridge. I just got more comfortable with the entire process as well as knowing that, if I'm to eat meat, this was a preferable way of going about it. At this point, I find supermarket chickens hard to eat -- less tasty and I know their lives weren't the best.

Last edited:
If a deer herd gets overpopulated you can have a lot of problems: disease, overgrazing, more road kill, and such.

in the absence of other mortality factors, killing every adult, antlered buck in the herd every fall would result in the deer herd doubling in only a handful of years

I wish California would wake up to this. We get massive deer and deer tick problems in the suburbs -- gardens denuded and cars hitting deer on the road. Eventually, mountain lions start moving in to hunt the deer. When it gets really awful, I suspect that some hush-hush herd culls take place by the game authorities.

I wish California would wake up to this. We get massive deer and deer tick problems in the suburbs -- gardens denuded and cars hitting deer on the road. Eventually, mountain lions start moving in to hunt the deer. When it gets really awful, I suspect that some hush-hush herd culls take place by the game authorities.

Some developments in the east that are too densely-populated for shooting have actually hired bowhunters to thin the herd.

Some developments in the east that are too densely-populated for shooting have actually hired bowhunters to thin the herd.
Several forest preserve a few miles east of me have sharpshooters hired to thin the herds.
To west of me, with a high power line in-between, is a forest preserve. I allow a friend to hunt my property and encourage does. My cousin across the road has a relative that hunts their farm. So far they haven't had to cull that forest preserve.

The Amish keep the population from exploding by us. We may apply for a nuisance license at the farm though…then we can prevent them from destroying the crops like they have been if the current fence build doesn’t work. We have enough family that will eat what we get.

Back
Top Bottom