reflection of first time chx kill

Thanks for sharing your experience! I will be raising meat birds for the first time later this year, and I anticipate having similar emotions to yours when it comes time for the kill. Although unlike you, I do not hunt and this will be my first actual kill. This will also be my first time raising baby chicks, so it will be hard not to get attached. I may get a layer chick or two when I get the meat birds just so I have someone to get attached to and channel my motherly instinct toward lol.
You’re welcome. I felt silly airing my ‘emotions’ publicly but now, seeing the BYC support, I realize I’m not alone.
I wish you all the luck with your meat birds. Maybe consider a couple of hens; they do better in a flock.

You’re welcome. I felt silly airing my ‘emotions’ publicly but now, seeing the BYC support, I realize I’m not alone.
I wish you all the luck with your meat birds. Maybe consider a couple of hens; they do better in a flock.
No, your post was definitely appreciated! And do you mean ordering both male and female meat birds? I ordered 6 straight run so I should be good I think!

I can't count the number of chickens and turkeys I've processed and I'll tell you one thing- the act gets easier (or at least more familiar) but the acknowledgement of the sacrifice remains as deep as it was the first time - maybe deeper, in some ways. You can never look at leftovers the same way once you've killed an animal to become your nourishment. Every morsel represents the life force that you ended and, to waste even a bit seems sacrilegious.

Unless someone has drawn the knife for their sustenance, you can't explain the bond you form with the animal when the blade finds its home. The act requires reflection and prayers of thanksgiving.

I don't know how others feel about it but I have a special affection for my meat birds and turkeys because I know why they're here and where they're going.

No, your post was definitely appreciated! And do you mean ordering both male and female meat birds? I ordered 6 straight run so I should be good I think!
I've never seen CX sold as anything other than straight run. They shouldn't be around kind enough to really tell the difference between pullets and roosters. 8 to 10 weeks, maybe 12 if you push the envelope? I try to do all my larger birds at 8 weeks and the remainder at 10. I've gone to 12 on a handful of small ones once and, honestly, there was no noticeable difference in quality between the 10's and 12's. The only drawback was an additional two weeks of feed for an extra 8 ounces of meat per bird.

I've never seen CX sold as anything other than straight run. They shouldn't be around kind enough to really tell the difference between pullets and roosters. 8 to 10 weeks, maybe 12 if you push the envelope? I try to do all my larger birds at 8 weeks and the remainder at 10. I've gone to 12 on a handful of small ones once and, honestly, there was no noticeable difference in quality between the 10's and 12's. The only drawback was an additional two weeks of feed for an extra 8 ounces of meat per bird.
Good to know. I was wondering if the growth rate would vary between the males and females. I ordered mine from Meyer Hatchery and they had the choice of M, F, or straight run.

Good to know. I was wondering if the growth rate would vary between the males and females. I ordered mine from Meyer Hatchery and they had the choice of M, F, or straight run.
The cockerels do seem to size up a bit faster than the pullets but not to the point that I'd care much. If you were looking for size, order males. I just find it cheaper to haunt the TSC and Orscheln's near me for their castoff Cornish Xs, I got 24 last year for $12.

Thanks for sharing your experience! I will be raising meat birds for the first time later this year, and I anticipate having similar emotions to yours when it comes time for the kill. Although unlike you, I do not hunt and this will be my first actual kill. This will also be my first time raising baby chicks, so it will be hard not to get attached. I may get a layer chick or two when I get the meat birds just so I have someone to get attached to and channel my motherly instinct toward lol.
I was it the same position last year, and it was hard.
But I didn't want someone else to do the deed, because I only really trusted myself to do the necessary research to find out how to do it.
And I'm not sure it gets easier, more confident yes; but easier not yet.
But afterwards I actually find it quite interesting, cleaning out the bird always makes me marvel at how well built they are.

Back
Top Bottom