reflection of first time chx kill

I like deer hunters that harvest does. If a deer herd gets overpopulated you can have a lot of problems: disease, overgrazing, more road kill, and such. Harvesting a buck removes one deer. Harvesting a does removes her and the two fawn she will probably raise the next year. You can't manage a deer population by just taking bucks.
so true.
As I've told my husband, you don't eat the antlers.

DH has never gotten a deer (possibly this fall we'll get some revenge for our devastated orchard), but I've often been given deer. Those trophy bucks are like venison-flavored chewing gum. Really suited for nothing but jerky or sausage.
I was fortunate to draw a bull elk lottery tag in MI last year. Got a very nice 5x5 bull that DNR said was the largest antlered elk they had tagged for the year. His dressed weight was a shocking 400 lbs. He was hanging out with a young 3x4 atypically bull that was also taken weighing a whopping 550 lbs as the scale didn’t go higher. The reason, I learned, was weight loss during the rut… my bull was b-u-s-y!! And it was the toughest meat I have ever had.. the tenderloin was even tough. pressure cooker? ha..not much better. The hormone surge and fat loss of this bull toughened him up, so we have a ton of jerkey and sausage now. It was a good experience though so not complaining.

Some developments in the east that are too densely-populated for shooting have actually hired bowhunters to thin the herd.
In the city where I used to live in Ohio, they passed an ordinance that if a deer comes on your property you are allowed to shoot it with a bow. This was in a suburb. It seemed to help a little but there's still a ton of deer. I don't think there were too many bow hunters in the suburb lol. But I think that was a really cool idea that could be effective in a lot of places.

In the city where I used to live in Ohio, they passed an ordinance that if a deer comes on your property you are allowed to shoot it with a bow. This was in a suburb. It seemed to help a little but there's still a ton of deer. I don't think there were too many bow hunters in the suburb lol. But I think that was a really cool idea that could be effective in a lot of places.
That’s crazy. We would have 4 or 5 already if we could do that!

The first few times processing chickens, we put them in the freezer for several weeks, maybe even a few months, before eating them. The passage of time helped, as well as the intermingling of the chickens in the freezer, so I didn't know who was who when I pulled one out.

Now, I'm fine with eating a butchered chicken after the standard 2-3 day rest period in the fridge. I just got more comfortable with the entire process as well as knowing that, if I'm to eat meat, this was a preferable way of going about it. At this point, I find supermarket chickens hard to eat -- less tasty and I know their lives weren't the best.
That's a good idea to put the processed chicken in the freezer for several weeks or months before eating it. If I can not put a face or a feather to a bird, then it wouldn't be so hard to eat it.

That's a good idea to put the processed chicken in the freezer for several weeks or months before eating it. If I can not put a face or a feather to a bird, then it wouldn't be so hard to eat it.

I generally find that once I get them undressed they look enough like a grocery store chicken to not mind eating them.

Yeah that's definitely not a bad idea. I processed my first chickens in September of last year, had them labeled as to the breed, age, and sex since I wanted to do a sort of taste test to get a better idea of what breeds I wanted to pursue in the future. Into the deep freezer they went for storage. Then due to a variety of circumstances, my taste-testing team wasn't available until nearly nine months later, by which time I could barely remember what any of the chickens had looked like and had to actually reference my code list to see what pieces came from what type of bird! I don't plan to wait that long between processing and eating them again in the future but for the first time bunch I do think it helped to put that space between things.

I’ve been raising and processing chickens long enough that I label them like this:
F1604207-4787-43B5-8CB3-45EBBE738A1F.jpeg

(In case you can’t read them they say, Fricassee, Stew, Earl and Dumplin’)

Back
Top Bottom