Jocelyne13

Chirping
Aug 12, 2020
Cochrane, Alberta, Canada
So winter has come, and it has made this new chicken mom nervous. I have a hen who has not fully feathered out like her siblings. She was one of the first to begin getting her wings etc coming in, and then she just remained on pause. I think I have noticed some recent progress, but essentially she is still half naked compared to the other 13 of the flock who are fully feathered.

As a result, the others have bullied her and she does not sleep near her flock mates. So keeping warm next to the others is not going to happen. Tonight however, I had an idea that I think will help keep her more comfortable. Making a mat to reflect her own body heat back to her.

She sleeps up on a shelf in the coop. I used the lid of a plastic container that is about 12x14 inches, and cut a piece of reflective foil lined bubble wrap that I had on hand to fit on top. I taped the edges well to prevent picking at the foil insulation. When I placed my cold hands on the foil, it wasn’t long before the chill left them. I placed the foil covered lid on her roosting spot, and it is my hope that this will help her cope with the cold until the rest of her feathers come in. I really didn’t want to supplement the coop with heat, or have this hen become too dependent on a heated mat. I figured this option using the foil insulation would be a happy medium.

I welcome any thoughts or comments! 🙂

How old is bird?
Pics of bird and coop showing roosts would help here.

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @Jocelyne13
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!

Thank you for reminding me to update my profile. I keep forgetting to. 👍 I live in Alberta, Canada where temps of -40’C and colder are not uncommon.

My flock is a bit over 20weeks/5months old. Got them as day old chicks from a small breeder who actively shows her birds. I had a few others who I thought were late feathering, but they all grabbed a gear and everyone (except this one hen) is completely feathered out. Even my gal who had a bout of vent gleet, had a completely naked bum, and had her growth stunted because of it...even she has regrown all her lost feathers and more. So why this gal?... I’m not entirely sure. She acts healthy, though is fairly nervous- however she has gotten braver bit by bit and has left the coop just recently for brief periods. I have never noticed anything like feather picking, by her or any of the others either.

You mentioned seeing roosts too...none of my flock uses them at night. 🤦‍♀️ Even when the weather was nice, they all slept in one big chicken pile and continue to do so. Roosts are used during the day some, but usually everyone (except the hen in question) spends their days outside. My hen with the feather issue however, chooses to roost up on a shelf where I store my coop cleaning tools in a plastic bin with lid. She used to sleep in one of the nesting boxes, but now uses the shelf exclusively. Note: when I went out to take pics, it was evident that this hen did not use her new mat. 🤦‍♀️ She slept beside it.

Other info...

My coop is a 1984 camper that we gutted. The trailer has a double layer of ridged foam insulation, and the interior is covered with 1x5 pine. I have two separate roosting areas, both of which have sand boxes underneath to catch droppings and dry them out. It is a breeze to clean the droppings in the sand. The floor is composite decking that we recycled and is also easy to get clean when I do a whole coop bedding change. For bedding, I use hemp. It is low dust, highly absorbent, reduces ammonia, has a higher thermal rating than many beddings, and naturally repels pests. Then, as an added measure I sourced zeolite and sprinkled it on the flooring and in the sand to further reduce humidity and ammonia. Today it is -7’C, and currently the temperature reading in the coop is -1’C. The humidity in the coop today is 75%, and the outdoor humidity is 82-85% humidity. I also leave the vent open a crack in the roof to allow for proper ventilation, as well as leave about a one inch gap on the top of the trailer door that has sliding windows. I should note too that I have a wireless thermometer to monitor temp and humidity.

I am in the midst of additional winterizing measures, but have at least some in the works. Have straw bales stacked on the side of the coop that gets the most wind. Want to add a few more to wrap around sides, but so far this has helped. Also installed plastic coop curtains over the chicken door, that I am gradually adding strips to so my chickens get used to the idea of being able to push though them. I plan on covering the windows with heavy duty clear plastic to prevent heat loss through the many windows in the coop. The windows are great for natural sunlight though, and allow for lots of fresh air in nice weather...just not great for keeping heat in.

Feeding organic grower (17%) feed. I have been adding probiotics to the feed since my one chick/hen had her bout with vent gleet. Adding ChickyWicky animalEO to water. Also feed dried solider grubs daily, giving this hen a bit more than the other- about two tablespoons daily for her? Also give greens usually daily to everyone, particularly dandelion leaves to this hen, who loves them. I have also set up a feed and water station for this hen so that she is not chased away by the others. As well, when I feed her things like her grubs, sardines, etc, I stand guard so that she is not chased away.

Hope this additional info helps. 🙂 Pics below.

574B48D6-8639-4F21-BC9C-EE394F23E9C7.jpeg 1742D5B8-C4E9-4F3F-BA59-536C5296CAFC.jpeg 9275228A-9DB9-46D5-B498-D1B16E5D643E.jpeg 5F3A8B76-C3AC-4A0D-A5A5-56C07F87C6AB.jpeg 31D0E42F-137E-47F1-B9AA-F6B75D166823.jpeg AC769DAD-1648-4E17-8267-47367598828E.jpeg 6515BC8F-712B-4EB5-AC9A-E7767618DC44.jpeg 21188F67-3A9F-4A46-B1D9-B288B627352C.jpeg

I have no thoughts on your foil insulation, except, if it works, then all is GREAT.
My suggestion is to help hen grow feathers ASAP. I would start feeding her boiled Egg Yolks daily. (separate from rest of flock) Eggs are high in protein, and that is what is needed to grow feathers. If you did not feed her separately, the other bandits would beat her to the yum.
Others may have different suggestions, like Feather Fixer Feed. That may be fine, but I'm suggesting something you can give/start like today. :thumbsup There are others high protein food you can try also, but eggs would be my first choice to try.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

My suggestion is to help hen grow feathers ASAP. I would start feeding her boiled Egg Yolks daily. (separate from rest of flock) Eggs are high in protein, and that is what is needed to grow feathers. If you did not feed her separately, the other bandits would beat her to the yum.
Others may have different suggestions, like Feather Fixer Feed. That may be fine, but I'm suggesting something you can give/start like today. :thumbsup There are others high protein food you can try also, but eggs would be my first choice to try.

I have been feeding her separately while still in the coop, and if needed will sit with her until she finishes her “treat”. She knows the routine, and comes to her spot to eat what I bring her. I also have an additional feeding/water station set up so she doesn’t get chased away from eating her regular rations. I have been feeding sardines regularly for helping her feather up, figuring the added omegas would be helpful. I also give her her daily dose of solider grubs, and try to get her dandelion greens daily too. For whatever reason, I have not tried eggs yet. 🤷‍♀️ But will definitely start feeding her the yolk daily. I will look into the feather fixer feed as well- but if it is store bought, I find many chicken supplements etc are hard to come by in Canada. And with Covid, many chicken products are not even available on Amazon. 😢 Thank you for chiming in! 👍

This is the before, when I originally posted- a bit over 20weeks/5months old. Figured out with the help of those that commented, that this hen has the “shredder“ gene, also known as the lavender gene. (See pics)

View attachment 2378002View attachment 2378003View attachment 2378001

This is her now! Picture taken today, Jan 25, 2021. What a difference!! I think she still may improve with her feathering, but if she doesn’t, then at least she is semi normal now. Thought everyone would like to see the dramatic change.
BB759791-8681-42AF-87DF-C26C10D65FD3.jpeg

Awesome. Following from Ardrossan area a little further north from you...
only -30 yesterday up here.
We really like your coop!

Thankfully we haven’t gotten that cold yet this winter. The past two winters here were rough! Glad to be having an easier winter especially since this is my first year with chickens. So far so good though with my coop- stays usually 5’C warmer that outside temps. Stay warm!

How old is bird?
Pics of bird and coop showing roosts would help here.

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @Jocelyne13
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1603023211941.png

My one thing would be make sure no one eats it.
Also, I don't know if you know, but you have a blue cuckoo cockerel.

Yes I have noticed that chickens try to eat things they shouldn’t. They are so much like little kids. Lol. Into everything! So far the hen in question hasn’t even used it. She slept beside it. 🤦‍♀️ Also, she is the only one who goes up there on that shelf that I placed it on, so I won’t have the rest of them trying it out and picking at it.

As for the rooster you mentioned, he is my alpha rooster. Have a second roo that is the Isabel coloration of yellow and grey. My Isabel roo is gorgeous! The pic below doesn’t do him justice. Both guys seem to get along just fine, but occasionally I will see my Isabel roo trying to make himself look smaller in certain situations to appease the alpha cuckoo. The Isabel used to be the alpha in the brooder, and at first when they moved into the coop- but he is pretty laid back, so I was not entirely surprised that even though he is larger that he was booted to the beta position.

DE3BCB8E-1917-420C-BCB4-083BDECFC0EF.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom