Reflux (GERD)-who has it and what to you do about it?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chickensioux, Feb 1, 2011.

1. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I was diagnosed with reflux about 10 years ago. I have tried to wean myself off of meds.....can't do it. Within a very short time, I have a SEVERE reflux attack. This is not my gall bladder, it's reflux. I take OTC prilosec now (insurance quit covering the RX stuff) and have it pretty well under control. I even tried the organic methods, no go. I would really like to stop the meds, I just can't. Anybody?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  2. EmtheFishLady

EmtheFishLady We're all mad here Premium Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    I drink a little baking soda with some water. [​IMG]

3. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Sorry, like you I tried to get off my nexium but it just keeps coming back. Doctor says some of us just naturally or through stress produce more acid and I'll probably be on the meds for the rest of my life. Nothing, no natural methods, no homeopathic remedies and no dietary changes have helped me.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Daily prescription med: Protonix. Cannot go more than one day without, either. Second day without and it's hard to "catch up" with the symptoms again.

5. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    I feel your "BURN" I have had it for about 6 years now. I would wake up in the middle of the night with stomach contents coming up my throat. It would actually gag me in my sleep. Then I would get the feeling as if I am drowning and take a huge deep breath and inhale it in to my lungs. That is a severe burn and takes hours of coughing to clear my lungs. I take prescription Asiphex to keep the acid level down in my stomach. The best way to reduce reflux is to not eat anything and I do mean anything at least 4 hours before bedtime. I find to stay away from coffee and other drinks containing caffeine. Chocolate is another cause of Gerd for me. If I miss a day of my meds I will pay the price severely. Simply put Gerd sucks.

6. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    I had taken pain killers since I was 13 until I was 40 (surgery 5 yrs ago fixed the problem!).... I had developed GERD from the pain pills. Once I stopped taking the pain killers, my issues with food, and AR disappeared!

I hope you can find relief some how... I know it stinks to wake up with a mouth full of [​IMG]

7. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Quote:I am not a surgery candidate because it is under control. I would do it in a second from what I have heard.

8. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I am due to go in for Surgery next month, I have developed it bad as of late and it's just gotten pretty dang gross. so in I went and the doc is going to fix me up, so he say's LOL we will see. I just hate having to wait a couple of weeks for the surgery but they are booked up solid, I know this Doctor well he is my DW's Cancer surgeon and he's Ok in my book. and I think he's a real American LOL.

AL

9. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    It's sugar for me, and also my brothers - we have to keep sugar way down. I do best if I eat moderate amounts of home-cooked food. Fresh vegetables seem to help a lot.

10. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Chickensioux; I don't mean this in a facetious way at all, but if your reflux is under control with an OTC product, what's the problem? I mean, I know none of us want to take more pills than we have to, but it seems this is working for you. I have to take a Rx everyday to prevent migraines. I'm not thrilled about having to take the meds, but they work, I'm not experiencing side effects, and my migraines have virtually disappeared. Sounds like your situation isn't so bad, since it's at least under control and with the convenience of an OTC pill.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by