Refridgerated eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mustangsaguaro, Mar 20, 2008.

1. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    Last night I pulled some eggs that were under my broody. Had an ad on CL in which someone was interested and didn't see that email until this morning. I did refridgerate the eggs last night. I know it's not good to refridgerate eggs for incubation. I am wondering can I reslip these eggs back under my broody or not? Yesterday was only day 1 or 2 for her sitting on them.

Thanks

Update on these eggs. Out of 10 of these eggs that went under this hen 9 are totally forming very well. I don't think that I originally stated that my fridge gets colder than most. Since we run on propane.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    They may be fine. You have seen the stories of supermarket eggs on the incubation forum. right?

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You can send them but if the buyer has a huge failure rate I think you would want to offer replacement eggs at your cost.

4. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    Quote:I am not mailing these eggs out. I am in Ca. and the buyer is also in Ca. Am going to let the broody try to hatch them out. I did tell him about the refridgeration and the possibility of not a good hatch rate. I just hope that the refridgeration didn't screw them up. I guess I will know in 7 or 8 days.

5. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Keep us updated. Maybe he/she would like to order st run chicks? Thats if you have a good hatch

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I would be very interested in know how they work out. It is interesting how eggs can't always survive in a frig but will keep in a nest until we get out there and get them in cold weather. I do know there are some people who do store in a frig before setting a hatch. I have never had luck with frig eggs.

Please keep us posted on this one.

7. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    I have hatched eggs that were in the frig for a week. ....ed.....Portland, IN.........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by