refrigerating eggs

Quote:
So sorry , all I did was ask the initial question . SORRY I even asked the question .
idunno.gif

I know what you mean cajunlizz, but I'm not sorry you asked the question. It's a very GOOD one!! I hope I didn't add to the agro feelings, most of us are really just trying to learn too, and looking up info can get confusing. I mostly just try to overlook the unhappy responses, everyone has a bad day now and then.
smile.png
hmm.png
smile.png

Some of the 'common wisdom' that store eggs can be like 6 months old is hangover from like 60+ years ago, when there was far poorer commercial egg production in late fall and winter and thus eggs had to be warehoused for as long as possible against consumer demand during those times.

Then, and earlier, a variety of mechanisms were devised to squeeze every last month or week of 'life' (so to speak) out of eggs. Waterglass, etc etc etc.

Nowadays you don't get that so much. But it would still be naive to think that the eggs you get in a typical store carton always go direct from the hens' bottoms to the Supermarket Near You, without stopovers (possibly prolonged) along the way
wink.png

Anyhow... Liz, it depends totally on what your kitchen temperature is. A week of very hot summer temperatures in an un-air-conditioned kitchen will get an egg to the point where you might still bake with it but prolly don't want it fried; in a 45-50 degree cold pantry (a less-insulated room or cupboard in a house in colder climate) it could be fine for a month or six weeks or even more depending on your definition of 'ok'.

Pat

After doing a bit of research, I was unable to determine that Chinese eggs are being imported into the US. However, melamine has been detected in eggs produced and sold in China and several other Asian countries. This is not to say that there are no eggs being imported here, but I was unable to prove it.

As far as refrigerating eggs, most eggs in Europe are not refrigerated, and it seems to work OK for them. Don't think I'd care to chance it though.

Folks always mention that you should not wash the bloom off eggs. Our pullet just began laying, so I am puzzled about 'bloom'. I expected something detectable on the surface. But her eggs seem smooth, clean, and beautiful.

Is 'bloom' more subtle than I realized, or is she still missing some laying component?

thanks for helping us newbies!
--Sandi

I think the china thing is mostly applied to powdered egg product imported to here, and used in baked goods in the US, as well as products baked there and shipped here.

As far as refrigeration goes, people should use their common sense taking what we say into consideration, and deciding for themselves. Some of us have never refrigerated our eggs, some have, we are all alive to tell of it. Some of us have cool storage available, it was mentioned that in the summer a hot kitchen isn't the best idea...

Also, anyone elderly, very young, and who may have lower immune systems etc, should use more care I'd say. Of course, my father is 90, and has barely been sick a day in his life, (barring a heart attack years ago and some small and not unusual dementia), perhaps because we have always kept them at least cool, though not refrigerated. Also, we only wash them when ready to use, keeping the nest boxes very clean insures they're mostly clean. But we DO wash them before using.

just my opinion though... my opinion and not true for everyone or perhaps not even anyone else!
cool.png

My ex sister-in-law got a really good deal on commercial eggs, and so she bought something like a hundred dozen of them. Well she didn't have room for them in the fridge, so she just kept them in a cooler room in the house. (considerably over 38 degrees F.) She was still using them up to 9 months later.

Personally, I like them a little fresher than that!!!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom