Refrigerator eggs

Now you've got me curious..lol.. going to have to try this some time, especially if it will help to weed out roosters, I don't want to have more than 2 in there if I can help it.
I've got a batch in right now that were laid in an outdoor coop and it's ranged from 25-40 degrees, so I'll mark down what develops and what comes out. I seem to remember I did refrigerate some on purpose a couple years ago but didn't end up tallying males, might have been one of my bad hatches.

I've got a batch in right now that were laid in an outdoor coop and it's ranged from 25-40 degrees, so I'll mark down what develops and what comes out. I seem to remember I did refrigerate some on purpose a couple years ago but didn't end up tallying males, might have been one of my bad hatches.
Please let me know what your count is.. that would be great to know.. If I didn't currently have a batch in my incubator ready to go on lockdown, I think I'd try it now.. if I try it after this batch hatches, I'm going to have to find homes for them as I do not have time available to babysit them after they hatch.. their just mutts kept for eggs, so I don't need to worry about selling them.

I'm going to end up posting results in the December Hatchalong thread, in the Hatchalongs subforum here, if you want to follow that. I might not remember to come back to this thread. They're due the 21st.

Ehhhh....my bet is that if this were true the hatcheries would have been doing it along ago.
Yes, we've hashed that out many times before. It's not economical to do on a large scale, especially when they get value back from male chicks as byproduct, but it's fun to play with on a small scale ;)
I can tell you the reverse is always true for me, if I run that incubator too hot I'll end up with more males than females every time.

Yes, we've hashed that out many times before. It's not economical to do on a large scale, especially when they get value back from male chicks as byproduct, but it's fun to play with on a small scale ;)
I can tell you the reverse is always true for me, if I run that incubator too hot I'll end up with more males than females every time.
Large scale would be needed to prove the theory, along with other variables weeded out(same parentage, feeding, environment, egg storage and prep, etc)...or meticulous management and records from a home hatcher.
Have you documented your 'hot hatches'?
At what point do the alleged female embryos die?
Sorry, born skeptic and long time designer/executor of experiment protocol for process/equipment validation and documentation for the FDA.

Large scale would be needed to prove the theory, along with other variables weeded out(same parentage, feeding, environment, egg storage and prep, etc)...or meticulous management and records from a home hatcher.
Have you documented your 'hot hatches'?
At what point do the alleged female embryos die?
Sorry, born skeptic and long time designer/executor of experiment protocol for process/equipment validation and documentation for the FDA.
I'm really not interested in hashing it out, lol. All I know is that there is an Australian study that was done citing which temperatures male embryos will die in greater numbers, and it seems to work that way for me. I'm not saying anyone has to try it.
http://www.publish.csiro.au/cp/AR9600664

it might and it might not work, but oh, well, if it works for me great, if it doesn't, the extra roo's I get will be in the freezer just the same as they would in your standard hatch.

To be fair, I did see that there has been a rebuttal study posted that's much more recent. I do wish I had kept detailed records of my hatches so that I could see more if there was a pattern, but starting out I was very hit and miss with different incubators, to where I just now feel like I'm really hitting my stride and being consistent. On that note, I'm gonna go hunt up some ideas and make myself a little hatching binder :)

Back
Top Bottom