Refugee Chickens

Agree with all others. I would be upset if a flock of chickens started frequenting my property, mostly because of my own chickens. I wouldn't want to risk the roamers bringing something to my flock, especially since I sometimes allow my flock to free range on my property. We specifically herd them back when they stray from our property, and they've honestly come to learn not to roam too far.
That said... If your neighbor's dog was roaming, but you knew it was your neighbor's dog (even if you didn't know which neighbor) you couldn't just grab him and give him to somebody else. Especially now that he appears to be going home somewhere each night. If this was happening, you'd call animal control or the cops. You could file a nuisance complaint, which they'd have to act on to the owner. Especially if/when those cockerels mature more and start fighting, they may see you as competition to the ladies and could go for you or your husband. That's not something anybody needs to deal with, especially if the problem isn't their responsibility.
A quick clarification needed for statement in bold above. That behavior is much more likely to be exhibited by hatchery-sourced backyard roosters than it is by game roosters.

If your neighbor's dog was roaming,
I feel dogs are a bit different in this scenario than chickens...animal control will probably thing so too...but I get what you're saying.

A quick clarification needed for statement in bold above. That behavior is much more likely to be exhibited by hatchery-sourced backyard roosters than it is by game roosters.
Probably, but if she keeps them and confines them...multiple males could indeed be a problem for a novice.

SO anyway....

I've been thinking.. I'm gonna take a walk right after dusk.. or early morning.. I'll bring a flashlight. I would like to confirm if they've taken to another tree farther away, or if there is a chicken house on that next property.

I'm leaning further away from forcibly removing them. I'm not entirely opposed to a plan that makes them unwelcome, if they become an issue. There was a goose.. gosh maybe 10 years ago, and I could not make it from the car to the door without being attacked.. it took about 6 days of actively driving him off before he stayed away. That is not the situation I have now.. They totally respect the driveway and porch and all my humans.. while I do catch them on the railings, there hasn't been a poop problem.

The idea.. that I could keep them, if I "removed" the males is abhorrent to me.. I understand the idea that they will fight.. but these aren't.. and it offends my heart to think of killing them.
Yes, I eat them, yes I know.. I get it.. I see the trucks and cry every time.. it's all a huge huge problem.. but right now.. I have to deal with chickens under my porch.

Husband says... Keep them if you want.. but just one boy.. we can get a coop, gift the eggs. Or don't... and leave them be.. they are living a good life, have a heart for the predator ... they need to eat too.. chickens can roll the dice..

They haven't slept here in days... I hear him every morning and evening though.. He's right past those trees.. and I know they are all together.

If I zoom out and consider how I feel about a stray animal in my yard. I get that alot. deer all the time, sooo many rabbits, if they count.. lots of little mammals and birds. Very rarely a stray cat or dog. They just don't last around here because of the people. 3 places over the guy has a house (HOUSE) of hunting dogs.. behind me is all horse pasture.. some cows. My aunt on the other side has a pasture full of goats.. Uncle David isn't having a stray dog around.. but he takes down to the store and someone usually takes them. Most folks do that around here.. or pawn them off of other folks they know. I've been asked and refused to take cats and puppies before. We've had pet pig problems and honestly, the chickens are the most polite "stray" we've had.

So far..... _fades out_

I think I would set up some nice nests. See if I could get some free eggs. Other than that, treat them like wild birds...they are pretty close to that. Not your responsibility, not your problem. More than likely, some are going to get hit by a predator, happens to wild birds too. They look in marvelous shape, not starving, not sick. I am with your husband, let them be.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom