Refugee Chickens

This still gonna happen...maybe a missed a change of plans?

We chatted this morning.. She is still willing to pick them up.. but asked me to consider that it's perhaps not the best idea to 'rehome' chickens that have a home.

Like i said before.. chickens running lose is pretty standard around here.. They seem road smart.. and usually don't hang around.. this little family just seems to like my yard.

I'm honestly torn about the ethical dilemma. These are not my chickens.. as much as I enjoy them. Is it my place to effectively steal someone's chickens.. even if they aren't being cared for in the way I think is appropriate...?

They no longer sleep here... they hotfoot across the yards into the trees and I think the house beyond that is where they live... That guy is a prepper.. I'm not ok with going to talk to him about this issue..

My family, friends and co-workers are over it.. no one wants to hear about the chicken crisis.. I really do appreciate being able to come here and talk about them..

I know ya'll can understand how I feel.. and appreciate that I really do care about them...

What say you Chicken Experts... Snatch them and send them away from their owner? Or leave chickens alone to do their chicken thing and mind my own business...?

Afternoon pic

Can you tell by looking.. are these chickens malnourished/in need/ill?

In person they are cute.. the black and white spotted one is super fluffy and the tan ones are so shiny they look metallic in the sun.

Two of the males sit on the porch rails and I noticed one has bright orangish feet and the other has a dull grayish green feet.. is that an indicator of illness??

Attachments

• 1218181339.jpg
    1218181339.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 41
I would not want stray birds on my property, not sure I'd adopt them even if I wanted to keep chickens(and it sounds like you don't want them for your own).
If owner doesn't keep track of them(keep them confined to his property),
then they are fair game for someone else to take, IMO.

I want to be sure I understand..

There is a "family unit" of 3 males and 4 females visiting me. Never more or less... Never different chickens.

They appear to be domesticated and not wild chickens.

They are at risk of predators. And cars and teens with bb guns.

The mainstream solution is to "remove" 2 of the males and house the remaining 5 in a secure habitat.

The "owner" is being irresponsible to allow them to wander freely during the day.

Questions..

Why can't the males live together? Then seem to get along fine.. I've been watching.. perhaps they are father/sons?

Aside from predators (and rudeness) aren't the chickens happier roaming around?

I stopped at the other neighbor's place just to look, those chickens are all white.. they look ragged and kinda mean.. they seem to live in a little dirt square with a little house.. it looks sad and not where these chickens came from.

Just tell your husband to built them a coop over the weekend. A few 2x4 and some particle boards, some chicken wire, a stapler gun and a table saw is all you need.... even without the table saw if you just have Home Depot or Lowe's cut it for you! Doesn't need to be anything fancy. Oh yeah, add a roost in there too say they can sleep on it while in the coop.

Or you can check on Craigslist for chicken coop.

those are young american game roosters. when they reach maturity they will fight for dominance and if they are from good lines it will not be a couple hits then over it will possibly be to the death

I would personally leave them be. they are happier wondering or they would be cooped up at there "home"

I'm honestly torn about the ethical dilemma. These are not my chickens.. as much as I enjoy them. Is it my place to effectively steal someone's chickens.. even if they aren't being cared for in the way I think is appropriate...?

What say you Chicken Experts... Snatch them and send them away from their owner? Or leave chickens alone to do their chicken thing and mind my own business...?

I don't think there is an ethical dilemma - if this flock "belongs" to the guy down the road let's say, then he's in the wrong for letting them wander all over everyone's yards. Not everyone is so happy to have chickens pooping and tearing up their garden. Or to have someone else's chickens visiting their flock and possibly bringing their germs with them, or to cause conflict with the home flock.

I agree with aart, if someone doesn't want to control their animals (plus you don't know if they're actually that neighbor's or if they're just hanging out there for the time being) then I'd say it's fair game.

I noticed one has bright orangish feet and the other has a dull grayish green feet.. is that an indicator of illness??

Chicken legs/feet come in all sorts of colors - yellow, light peach, blue-gray, green-gray.

I live in a very rural area. We've lived here 15 years and seen all manner of stray and wild animals come through... About 2 weeks ago some chickens came by... they won't leave. I asked the neighbors and they say chickens will move on when they are ready... There is 1 neighbor that has chickens close by.. but claims ignorance about these chickens.

They are very pretty... and seem friendly... They won't leave. There is a tree by the driveway that they are sleeping in... during the day they circle the house scratching in the grass and hiding under the porch..... [are they...] abandoned, or are they lost? I worry they have a home, but can't find it?...

... Questions:
Are these chickens abandoned, or are they lost? I worry they have a home, but can't find it?
Is it possible for them to survive in a tree through the winter? (we get lots of rain and some ice, lows in the 20's some nights)... Husband and I (mostly me) are concerned about them and the worry is getting stressful. Should we build them a house by the tree they like?... My heart is breaking for them, am I being silly?...

Last question first: Let not you heart be troubled me Lady. It seems that these wayward chickens are living the life of Riley while Riley is away from town. At least they are living as free range an existence as it is possible for a human to provide.

Chickens are like the gambling man in the House of the Rising Sun, because all a gambling man needs is a suitcase and a gun while all a chicken needs is a tree and your front steps.

I just can't resist: It's toe tapping time. Let's get our Blues grove on.

Will there be loses in this little flock? Sure that is why the Gambling Man in the song has his suitcase already packed and his gun in the waist band of his shorts.

Different colored feet on a chicken is proof that these chickens have a varied genetic background and enough different DNA to do about anything that chickens do.

Agree with all others. I would be upset if a flock of chickens started frequenting my property, mostly because of my own chickens. I wouldn't want to risk the roamers bringing something to my flock, especially since I sometimes allow my flock to free range on my property. We specifically herd them back when they stray from our property, and they've honestly come to learn not to roam too far.
That said... If your neighbor's dog was roaming, but you knew it was your neighbor's dog (even if you didn't know which neighbor) you couldn't just grab him and give him to somebody else. Especially now that he appears to be going home somewhere each night. If this was happening, you'd call animal control or the cops. You could file a nuisance complaint, which they'd have to act on to the owner. Especially if/when those cockerels mature more and start fighting, they may see you as competition to the ladies and could go for you or your husband. That's not something anybody needs to deal with, especially if the problem isn't their responsibility.

Back
Top Bottom