Refusing to sleep on roosts

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
Around the time winter started here, our 2 year old Buff Orpington and 3 year old Bantam Cochin/Silkie mix were first to molt. They finished their molt 2 weeks ago but they're still refusing to sleep on the roosts. I keep having to pick them off the floor and put them on one of the roosts. As I'm still re-doing their roosts, they currently only have 3 large roosts. We have 9 hens, 1 cockerel total. Our cockerel doesn't sleep in the coop at night currently as he keeps making a racket by clucking like a hen even though there's nothing in the backyard.
Anyway when these 2 hens were molting I allowed them to sleep in a nesting box together but once they finished their molts, I started closing up the boxes before bedtime to prevent them from getting in them. Now they keep trying to sleep on the floor with the ducks. I keep putting them on an empty roost but the Buff Orpington keeps jumping back down before her buddy does as well.

Any ideas on how to get them to sleep on the roosts without me assisting??

Does your coop have light in it? I'm thinking there not associating the whole process of roosting since they cant see in the dark.
Agreed. If a chicken can’t see, then it’s not going to jump off the roost into darkness unless it’s being shoved off or scared off.

The only time my buff orphingtons wont roost is if they are broody. I throw them out of the main coop & put them in with the Bantys & they snap out of it within 3 or 4 days. Once I find a big brown egg in the banty coop I put her back with the big girls. The silkies never roosted. They sleep on the floor anyhow

Back
Top Bottom