Regarding the Horses in our lives...

Pics
I just found out.....  :th ....  I was excited and had to explain to my Non horsey son... 

No no other countries run horses
Not all horses who race are raced int all three
Not all horses are fit enough to run the last one
Much less win the last one  or even all three

deb

Whoops, I meant to comment there, racing is very big in MANY countries, England, Ireland, France, Morocco, Egypt, and most Arab countries have been into racing since the 1600's. In Arabic circles, a horse is expected to be able to run, do cross country endurance etc... They are not just pretty, they are expected to perform.

A lot of the horses in the big races here are owned by people in other countries; one of the horses in the Belmont this year (Mubtaahij) is from Ireland. I understand that American Pharoah's owner has dual citizenship; the horse's name is partly because of it.

One annoying thing about American Pharoah is that he's a rig or crypto - he has a retained testicle. That condition can be inherited, and it can be an expensive nuisance to go in and find the missing testicle when you are gelding a horse. Some people will remove the one they can see, and call the horse a gelding, when it isn't. Some people say that stallions with this condition are more likely to be even more difficult than normal stallions to handle.

A lot of the horses in the big races here are owned by people in other countries; one of the horses in the Belmont this year (Mubtaahij) is from Ireland. I understand that American Pharoah's owner has dual citizenship; the horse's name is partly because of it.

One annoying thing about American Pharoah is that he's a rig or crypto - he has a retained testicle. That condition can be inherited, and it can be an expensive nuisance to go in and find the missing testicle when you are gelding a horse. Some people will remove the one they can see, and call the horse a gelding, when it isn't. Some people say that stallions with this condition are more likely to be even more difficult than normal stallions to handle.
I did not know that about him... What I do know is that in the horse world I live in, one would never breed a cryptorchid.

-Kathy

Whoops, I meant to comment there, racing is very big in MANY countries, England, Ireland, France, Morocco, Egypt, and most Arab countries have been into racing since the 1600's. In Arabic circles, a horse is expected to be able to run, do cross country endurance etc... They are not just pretty, they are expected to perform.

Just not the Triple Crown.

deb

His breeding right have been sold for millions, so is it possible that he had surgery to bring the other testicle down? Or that that retained testicle descended later?

He certainly didn't seem to be hard to handle on TV yesterday.

In a crypt orchid the testical can be found only through exploratory surgery... because it can be any where in the abdominal cavity. In Dogs to have them castrated its the same cost as a Spay sometimes more... I know I had a Greyhound with one.

In horses the same deal... then you have the added danger of anesthesia...

For what its worht they should be found and removed even if its only the one... because they risk cancer...

deb

Oh Mann I didnt even think about that whole multiple ownership deal .... I was thinking of horses that are "shipped" from their countries for racing here in the US.

deb

Yep.... Arabs... 100 miles in a day on camels milk and dates and turn around and come back.... It was one of their rites of passage to allow a stallion the right to breed. Unless I forgot my history....

deb

Back
Top Bottom