I separated the troublesome roosters, so they are now only with a very small bantam rooster, two serama roos, and a wingless rir roo. The serama roos and wingless rir are afraid of her, as she is high on the totem pole, so she only mates with the small bantam

She lays eggs daily, nonstop all through winter. I'm worried that she has something wrong, like a skin disease. I've also read about increasing protein during feather regrowth. She eats and acts totally normal,

Is it possible the bantam roo is targeting her more often than the others? She doesn't act sick, shes still very active and I get eggs daily,

I feel like they aren't coming back due to a combo of too much sun damage and overmating
I agree, it looks like overmating to me too.

I see a lot of intact feather shafts in the skin, she's not going to re-grow any of that until she molts. Keep the saddle on her.

You report in your posts she's 4yrs old, lays an egg daily even through winter, eats/drinks fine, acts normal, is active, doesn't act sick...I would just watch her.

I see a lot of intact feather shafts in the skin, she's not going to re-grow any of that until she molts. Keep the saddle on her
So, basically, until she is able to shed those broken off feather shafts, the new feathers won't come in? That's a lot of feathers :hit
I have a "heavy" saddle (thicker material) that also covers the wings, but didn't use it because I didn't want to hurt her. Now I'm thinking she needs it. Maybe that with daily Vetericyn will make a difference. And separating her. I'll see if I can hook up a heat lamp in one of the coops tomorrow. Its 28F overnight right now; it'll be up to 38F next sunday. Without her feathers, I'm not sure how warm she can keep herself.
Any experience with cold weather and a chicken sleeping alone? :hmm

So, basically, until she is able to shed those broken off feather shafts, the new feathers won't come in? That's a lot of feathers :hit
I have a "heavy" saddle (thicker material) that also covers the wings, but didn't use it because I didn't want to hurt her. Now I'm thinking she needs it. Maybe that with daily Vetericyn will make a difference. And separating her. I'll see if I can hook up a heat lamp in one of the coops tomorrow. Its 28F overnight right now; it'll be up to 38F next sunday. Without her feathers, I'm not sure how warm she can keep herself.
Any experience with cold weather and a chicken sleeping alone? :hmm
Right, she will need to molt in order to regrow new feathers.
You can use the heavier saddle, I don't see how it would hurt her. I've used saddles before and had a few that were fairly bare backed.
They did just fine with a saddle and in cold temperatures. I'm not sure about hooking up a heat lamp for her, she is probably already acclimated to your weather conditions.

I’m in nevada where we have a lot of sun my hens are not as bad as this but I am thinking they need sunscreen……

Back
Top Bottom