Regular feed to organic change ?

See if you can get photos of the black bugs?

Doesn't sound like mites if they're clearly visible and not red in color, but I would want to know what they are.

Personally I wouldn't bother eradicating something as long as it's not harmful, but figuring out what it is is the first step. Like I get black aphids for about a month each year that kinda rain into the run from the tree above, so those aren't a concern, but they just look yucky.
Not sure if this photo helps 🤷🏼‍♀️

Attachments

• E76E84E9-4B65-4A18-9FC8-582DD877EB32.jpeg
    E76E84E9-4B65-4A18-9FC8-582DD877EB32.jpeg
    476.1 KB · Views: 4
Thanks 3KB’s. I’m going to order some permethrin and some Anthonys fenugreek as well. 🐓❤️
Before everyone jumps on the Fenugreek bandwagon (and thank you, it makes me feel appreciated), understand that it is a very Mediteranean herb. It does well scattered on loose soil near the equator, USDA Planting Zones 9-11. North of 9, its an annual.

You can plant it inside in sprouting trays, peat pots, etc (it does not transplant well - expect to bring out the whole tray), but outside, you need two solid months between 50 and 90 degrees 24/7 - If you anticipate freezing temps in the next month and a half, you will want to either hold off or give more consideration to how you will get the plant to maturity before bringing it out to them.

The chicks will eat the greens of course, just not as Met dense as seeds. Just as sprouts? I've had them pop in under a week.

when i move the hay and look around the edges, i see small black bugs. This concerns me but maybe they are under the hemp in the coop as well? Was thinking of sprinkling some DE in the nesting boxes under the hay. What do you think?
I don't use DE.
I use these.
20210327_083506.jpg

I've never had to use the liquid, but it would be the easiest way to treat a bug infested coop, or a heavily infested chicken following label directions. GC

I don't use DE.
I use these.View attachment 2842308
I've never had to use the liquid, but it would be the easiest way to treat a bug infested coop, or a heavily infested chicken following label directions. GC
I use the spray - or at least, I keep some on hand. Have beein fortunate so far in not needing it. But I do keep it on hand.

I have a non-Permethrin, non-DE garden dust for other bugs, but it is NOT good for treating mites. Well, it can be, in theory, but mine doesn't advertise itself as useful against mites. Can't recommend it for anything except the garden. Captain Jack's "Dead Bug" (Spinosad is the active ingredient). I use it on my grapes, not much else.

Spinosad (spray) applications are detectable and above certain EU-established limits in the skin of sprayed birds, detectable but below limits in other flesh and eggs. It is allowed by those seeking to maintain "Organic" certification. I'll let others decide whats best for them - I don't use it in my coops. There is no withdrawal period for eggs or meat.

the next boxes, when i move the hay and look around the edges, i see small black bugs.

Maybe you can empty out the nestboxes, adding that hay to the coop bedding. If the chickens come running to eat the bugs, then the problem is solved ;)

Then you can put fresh hay in the nestboxes and see whether the bugs come back or not.

Before everyone jumps on the Fenugreek bandwagon (and thank you, it makes me feel appreciated), understand that it is a very Mediteranean herb. It does well scattered on loose soil near the equator, USDA Planting Zones 9-11. North of 9, its an annual.

You can plant it inside in sprouting trays, peat pots, etc (it does not transplant well - expect to bring out the whole tray), but outside, you need two solid months between 50 and 90 degrees 24/7 - If you anticipate freezing temps in the next month and a half, you will want to either hold off or give more consideration to how you will get the plant to maturity before bringing it out to them.

The chicks will eat the greens of course, just not as Met dense as seeds. Just as sprouts? I've had them pop in under a week.
Your choke full of knowledge U_stormcrow. I will research them a bit before purchase. I’d enjoy trying it out indoors.

North of 9, its an annual.
When I first looked up fenugreek, I read "zone 9-11" and thought, well, another thing that would be great if I could grow it here in zone 5. Then I read more, and I think it will work as an annual (fine by me!) that I can grow and give the chickens some trimmings.

If nothing else, it'll be a fun experiment. I'm wondering about sprouting it in the winter...? I did some barley sprouts last year, and that worked well.

Back
Top Bottom