Rehabing a bullied duck

Bird Worrier

Chirping
Dec 31, 2017
Poultry Nutri drench can help. Good feed always available. Rest and water therapy for his lameness and also B complex can help with leg injuries it helps support the muscles.
Miss Lydia! Thank you so much for the recommendation of Nutri Drench. I've been giving it to her daily and she is made a remarkable recovery.

Beaglegal

Songster
Sep 8, 2019
Western Washington
We have a beta male duck who has gotten so bullied that he has lost weight and is lame. He is separated from the rest of the flock, although right next to them, and we're wondering how to get him healthy quickly. Other than slugs and extra helpings of grain, what can we give this boy to bring him back?
He probably needs company to recover or he may pine

Bird Worrier

Chirping
Dec 31, 2017
Miss Lydia! Thank you so much for the recommendation of Nutri Drench. I've been giving it to her daily and she is made a remarkable recovery.
MIss Lydia! Can ducks eat too many slugs? I offer my ducks slugs that I find in our garden. They probably get 2 - 3 each, every other day or so.

Isaac 0

Waterfowl Fanatic
Premium Feather Member
Jul 19, 2016
Iowa
MIss Lydia! Can ducks eat too many slugs? I offer my ducks slugs that I find in our garden. They probably get 2 - 3 each, every other day or so.
I see two evident problems with directly feeding ducks snails on a daily basis. One being, is snails and worms often contain a generous amount of internal parasites, so you are technically increasing the chance of your ducks coming down with an overload of worms by feeding it to them directly. Of course, they'll likely eat them anyway, but "reducing" the amount in their diet should help.

The other problem, I see, and something we see yearly is the risk of choking on the snails. Due to the slimy nature of the snails, they can easily get stuck in a ducks throat and cause asphyxiation.

Bird Worrier

Chirping
Dec 31, 2017
I see two evident problems with directly feeding ducks snails on a daily basis. One being, is snails and worms often contain a generous amount of internal parasites, so you are technically increasing the chance of your ducks coming down with an overload of worms by feeding it to them directly. Of course, they'll likely eat them anyway, but "reducing" the amount in their diet should help.

The other problem, I see, and something we see yearly is the risk of choking on the snails. Due to the slimy nature of the snails, they can easily get stuck in a ducks throat and cause asphyxiation.
Thank you for your thorough response, Miss Lydia!

Top Bottom