Rehoming baby chick question - (snake owners)

Oh I forgot to add that I have both snakes and chickens as well and would never feed a chick to a snake... mice are much cheaper and a lot less cute.
wink.png

Oh I must disagree with you snowchic. I bred and raised mice for many years and they are so freaking cute! It's something you have to grow on, but once you do... you get attached fast. Just like with other pets.

One way to avoid the problem altogether (friends might buy them for him, to circumvent you) is to charge $8. or $10. per silkie. You'll pay that much for one at a show or 4H fair, but that's too expensive for snake food. Some ignorant folk have peculiar ideas about feeding snakes, and live food is more premium priced--but some snakes won't eat dead food, and some macho (and sicko) types like to BELIEVE that THEIRS wouldn't. The sickos just like to watch...

Same with hamsters, guinea pigs, puppies and kittens--PLEASE--NO "free to a good home" ads!!!

I say if you have a bad feeling about a deal... just back out. I just did tonight. Just didn't like how it all felt.

I can totally understand you not wanting your chicks to be snake food. I eat chicken, I don't get mad if one get taken by a preditor (as long as it's not a habit)... but I don't think I would sell to someone feeding a snake. You would think their are cheaper things to feed a snake anyways.

Don't worry about what others say... if it doesn't feel good to you to go one with the deal... just don't. Tell a white lie if you have to, or just go missing and not be able to be reached. They are YOUR birds until you sell them... do what YOU want with them.

Quote:
Don't get my started on "free to good home" ads. I got my thread shut down over that issue. Long story but in this economy, seems some people are resorting to taking your pet by lying about how good they would be for it and then selling it right away. God knows what condition it stays in in the meantime and who it goes to when they find a buyer. Oh, now my blood pressure is up again.

Thanks for all the advice guys!! He ended up asking if I had the parent and when I said no he wasnt interested anymore as he wanted to see them so after all that I think he wasnt going to feed them to a snake. I figured $25 for 5 chicks was too expensive for snake food but just thought I would ask...

I too had snakes but never when I had the chickens not for any reason just never was interested in chickens until just recently and I rehomed my 2 rosy boas about a year ago...

Quote:
I would never rehome or sell 1 of my chickens to someone if I felt the person looking to buy it to eat! Thats why I like silkies since they dont get very big and most people wont want them for meat. And I have been thinking about that latey, about feeding chicken to a chicken, and I would NEVER do that either! I saw someone here said they were going to give the chickens a leftover chicken carcass they had left over from dinner and I just could never do that. As weird as it sounds I even have a hard time eating chicken now that I have them.

Quote:
I would never rehome or sell 1 of my chickens to someone if I felt the person looking to buy it to eat! Thats why I like silkies since they dont get very big and most people wont want them for meat. And I have been thinking about that latey, about feeding chicken to a chicken, and I would NEVER do that either! I saw someone here said they were going to give the chickens a leftover chicken carcass they had left over from dinner and I just could never do that. As weird as it sounds I even have a hard time eating chicken now that I have them.

I agree. I would never feed my chickens a chicken. I don't feed mine meat at all. Their is plenty of protein filled veggies and insects.

Edit to add:

And I don't give my dogs leftover chicken either. (For one, there isn't NEVER leftover chicken.)

Once again, they are YOUR birds and you don't have to worry about what other people say. If you don't want to sell to a person, don't.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom