Rehoming roosters - Conflicted - needing input please

linkchips

Chirping
Jan 23, 2023
Rooster #1 - Chickovsky - 1 years old - hates my husband - his 2 hens have lost feathers from his obsessive copulating. Yet he is very sweet with them when they lay eggs - sits by them in the coop while they are in the nesting box; he very protective and shares his bug finds with them. But does this sweetness over-ride the aggression with my husband and occasionally he has attacked me out of the blue and him hurting his girls on their backs? I also worry that he will hurt the flock girls when I integrate them.

Rooster #2 & 3 - Chickovskys 2 sons - 10 weeks old
649AF925-9F58-4CD4-AE43-4B3246D9C975.jpeg
- Both are becoming bullies in their 12 girl henhouse. Pecking the girls, pushing them away as they eat, chasing them around.

I realize the roosters are an asset for predator alarm even though they are in a fully enclosed run; the young boys could settle down when Chickovsky is introduced ;they keep the girls from hen pecking each other and of course fertilizing eggs.
How will Chickovsky's ladies respond if I re-home him? Why do I feel so conflicted in making the final decision.
I really need some feedback. This is my first experience with chickens and roosters. Please help.
C8146FF7-8676-47D9-948E-9C1E805CB502.jpeg

I'm sorry about your stress about your rooster, I don't have any experience with roosters but it is concerning that he hates your husband and the harm to your hens.
I suggest maybe getting some saddles for your hens. https://www.amazon.com/DOWN-UNDER-O...fe-8e64-aa7094bf9096&pf_rd_r=JRCCMWJJH1Q4SPCT
NBJ0&qid=1685987684&sbo=RZvfv%2F%2FHxDF%2BO5021pAnSA%3D%3D&sprefix=hen+apron%2Caps%2C166&sr=1-1-3bb2315b-f120-40bb-95a3-315d464ca631

I am not sure what expectations are for when you integrate the others.

I am new at the whole chicken thing, and even newer at the cockerel thing. You say two males in a 12-hen house? How big is this house? How big is your whole flock? If everyone is going to eventually be integrated, I don't think you would want much off from about 10:1 hen to rooster ratio. Boys may also do better housed together away from the hens, if you just don't have 30 hens to go around, and you don't want to necessarily get rid of them.

I haven't dealt with rooster aggression yet, but it sounds like it's something you're experiencing, and my understanding is that it doesn't have to be that way. Since you already have two of his sons, is there any particular breeding reason why you would need to keep him, given his aggression? Would the youngsters have a chance to learn some manners if they can be integrated with the bigger hens, and all have more SPACE and hens to go around?

Personally, I have kids, so I wouldn't feel safe with them being around a mean rooster. He would have to be a pretty important bird to be able to stay in the breeding program, and even then, it would most likely be on the periphery where my kids are not at risk.

I'm sorry about your stress about your rooster, I don't have any experience with roosters but it is concerning that he hates your husband and the harm to your hens.
I suggest maybe getting some saddles for your hens. https://www.amazon.com/DOWN-UNDER-OUTDOORS-Adjustable-Accessories/dp/B07PB4XGVS/ref=sxin_31_sbv_search_btf?content-id=amzn1.sym.26004839-d0aa-42fe-8e64-aa7094bf9096:amzn1.sym.26004839-d0aa-42fe-8e64-aa7094bf9096&crid=36HM01POFBYG6&cv_ct_cx=hen+aprons+saddle+for+chickens&keywords=hen+aprons+saddle+for+chickens&pd_rd_i=B07PB4XGVS&pd_rd_r=3ec8af88-92d3-4262-be9c-7fe6ecdc6358&pd_rd_w=sjOKM&pd_rd_wg=dMg59&pf_rd_p=26004839-d0aa-42fe-8e64-aa7094bf9096&pf_rd_r=JRCCMWJJH1Q4SPCT
NBJ0&qid=1685987684&sbo=RZvfv%2F%2FHxDF%2BO5021pAnSA%3D%3D&sprefix=hen+apron%2Caps%2C166&sr=1-1-3bb2315b-f120-40bb-95a3-315d464ca631

I am not sure what expectations are for when you integrate the others.
Chickovsky attacks him even through the fence! As he walks by, he lunges at him all the way down the run.
I have considered saddles, but I struggle to get hold of the girls, even when I have isolated Chickovsky. But I will try if that's the only answer. Wondering if he would pull it off?
I am anticipating some rambunctiousness when integrating. They have been situated very close by - 3 feet between fences - so they have seen each other.for 3 weeks. The 1 year olds have not shown any interest, but I think they are might get protective of their territory with the youngsters.
I have read that having more hens to attend to, Chickovsky might not be so attentive to his current 2 ladies - but then again I dont want him hurting the other young hens.

It's difficult, you've become attached to him and feel responsible for his well being, that's perfectly normal. Unfortunately we all have to make these hard decisions to keep the peace in our coops and our homes.
His girls may be lost for a few days but they usually get over it pretty quickly. I would cull the rooster and integrate the girls with the youngsters and see how that goes. The two older hens will probably help teach those fresh cockerels some manners.

does this sweetness over-ride the aggression with my husband and occasionally he has attacked me out of the blue
No, absolutely not.

Let's look at a scenario. You have visitors who bring a young child with them. That child's eyes are at exactly the right height for that rooster's claws to scratch or his beak to peck. Is it worth how that child's life could be changed forever let alone how much a personal injury lawyer would love getting that case?

I'm usually willing to give a young immature cockerel a chance to mature out of his behaviors with the other chickens but when it comes to human aggression I don't have any patience. One way it is often phrased, there are too many good roosters out there to keep a bad one.

and him hurting his girls on their backs?
It is not unusual for a hen to lose a few feathers from mating. It's when they lose enough for bare patches to develop that it gets risky, then the males claws could cut them during mating.

Rooster #2 & 3 - Chickovskys 2 sons - 10 weeks old - Both are becoming bullies in their 12 girl henhouse. Pecking the girls, pushing them away as they eat, chasing them around.
10 weeks is a bit early but not unheard of for puberty to hit. Puberty can be really hard to watch, it can be a violent time. Typically when the pullets mature enough and the boys mature enough the flock becomes peaceful, something like what you are seeing with your older chickens. But watching them go through puberty is often not for the faint of heart.

How will Chickovsky's ladies respond if I re-home him?
They will probably miss him for a day or two, then get on with life. Chickens don't like change but they are pretty adaptable. They get over it.

They are flock animals but also prey animals. They like the cohesion of a flock and have devised strategies to work together. But they are also prey animals, in the wild predators are constantly grabbing one. If they don't get over it quickly they become vulnerable to become the next victim so they quickly forget about them when one is taken.

Why do I feel so conflicted in making the final decision.
I don't know but many people are. You probably see him as a pet, many people feel strongly about taking care of pets. Would you keep a pet dog if it were constantly attacking you or your family with real intent to cause harm? Some people probably would but I would not.

I am new at the whole chicken thing, and even newer at the cockerel thing. You say two males in a 12-hen house? How big is this house? How big is your whole flock? If everyone is going to eventually be integrated, I don't think you would want much off from about 10:1 hen to rooster ratio. Boys may also do better housed together away from the hens, if you just don't have 30 hens to go around, and you don't want to necessarily get rid of them.

I haven't dealt with rooster aggression yet, but it sounds like it's something you're experiencing, and my understanding is that it doesn't have to be that way. Since you already have two of his sons, is there any particular breeding reason why you would need to keep him, given his aggression? Would the youngsters have a chance to learn some manners if they can be integrated with the bigger hens, and all have more SPACE and hens to go around?

Personally, I have kids, so I wouldn't feel safe with them being around a mean rooster. He would have to be a pretty important bird to be able to stay in the breeding program, and even then, it would most likely be on the periphery where my kids are not at risk.
The 10 week olds have a 4 x 8 coop with a 9 x 13 run. 12 hens and 2 roosters. So 14 chickens in that flock. 1 year old - just 2 hens and Chickovsky the rooster.
I had thought of selling fertilized eggs, but I haven't tried as yet. However, breeding was not my initial intention nor currently.
I don't have young children around - just my husband who Chickovsky seems to hate!

No, absolutely not.

Let's look at a scenario. You have visitors who bring a young child with them. That child's eyes are at exactly the right height for that rooster's claws to scratch or his beak to peck. Is it worth how that child's life could be changed forever let alone how much a personal injury lawyer would love getting that case?

I'm usually willing to give a young immature cockerel a chance to mature out of his behaviors with the other chickens but when it comes to human aggression I don't have any patience. One way it is often phrased, there are too many good roosters out there to keep a bad one.

It is not unusual for a hen to lose a few feathers from mating. It's when they lose enough for bare patches to develop that it gets risky, then the males claws could cut them during mating.

10 weeks is a bit early but not unheard of for puberty to hit. Puberty can be really hard to watch, it can be a violent time. Typically when the pullets mature enough and the boys mature enough the flock becomes peaceful, something like what you are seeing with your older chickens. But watching them go through puberty is often not for the faint of heart.

They will probably miss him for a day or two, then get on with life. Chickens don't like change but they are pretty adaptable. They get over it.

They are flock animals but also prey animals. They like the cohesion of a flock and have devised strategies to work together. But they are also prey animals, in the wild predators are constantly grabbing one. If they don't get over it quickly they become vulnerable to become the next victim so they quickly forget about them when one is taken.

I don't know but many people are. You probably see him as a pet, many people feel strongly about taking care of pets. Would you keep a pet dog if it were constantly attacking you or your family with real intent to cause harm? Some people probably would but I would not.
Thank you for your frank and honest response. I needed to hear this. Thank you. I think I am coming closer to making the decision to re-home them. I am really hoping that integrating the 2 older hens with the 10 week old will go well and there will be less issues. I realize the pecking order etc. will continue but there should be less mayhem - right?!

I would not rehome a rooster who is aggressive to humans. I would consider myself responsible if he injured someone in his new home.

The only exception is if I'm selling/giving him to someone who,

A. Intends to eat him promptly,
B. I have made 100% full disclosure AND I know that he is not the new owner's first rooster experience.

I would not rehome a rooster who is aggressive to humans. I would consider myself responsible if he injured someone in his new home.

The only exception is if I'm selling/giving him to someone who,

A. Intends to eat him promptly,
B. I have made 100% full disclosure AND I know that he is not the new owner's first rooster experience.
I will definitely take this into consideration. thank you.

Back
Top Bottom