Rehoming

Sue S

Songster
Mar 7, 2018
Pa
I'm sad to say :hitthat I've made the decision to rehome Goose & Strawberry. I've been working with them for the last few weeks to get them socialized to me & my bubbas ( Ducks) but it's not working, they are afraid of everybody if me or my husband would start walking towards the pond when were out doing yard work they would freak out, I thought they would be used to me by now since I'm the one who has raised them from the 1st day I got them :confused:.
They would go into the smaller pond & hangout in there all day until my ducks would chase them out, but then they would go back into the pond & everything would be fine. We have 3 acres that the ducks free range on during the day but Goose & Strawberry would never leave the pond & at night when I would try to get them into their pen ( separate from the other ducks) they wouldn't go in, so I would have to chase/catch them to put them in, which I hated doing but I didn't want to leave them out at night unprotected. I tried making a trail of treats from the outside of the pond to their pen & also throwing treats around the yard hoping they would venture around but nothing seemed to work. My husband did get them into the pen on Saturday night ( he had to chase them) when I was in town but he put them into the "bubbas" pen, so I thought I'll try & see if it works with all the ducks together since they did get along for the most part & at 1st they seem to be ok, but then they all started fighting & I had to remove Goose & Strawberry from the pen but the thing that broke my heart was that when I went into the pen to help/get them they both ran from me I was able to get Goose but Strawberry wouldn't even come near me for me to help her when she was been attacked, I did finally get her & they both are fine. I never had this problem with ducks & I feel like such a bad "duck mamma" for having to rehome them but I want them to be happy, they are going to a very good home with a lady that lives on a farm. I just want to thank everybody that answered my questions from my previous post about Goose & Strawberry.
G&S swimming1.jpg

I am sorry your having to rehome them but you are not a bad duck mama, They just aren't fitting in hopefully they will at their new home. At least they are going to a good home be happy for that. You can look back and see what good of care you gave them they are beautiful ducks.

Awe I'm sorry you have to re-home them :hugs but sometimes we feel guilty when in reality it's not our fault... Some are not a perfect fit and we have to find them a more suitable home even if we gave them everything we possibly could.

I rehomed a Cream Legbar to a friend because she wasn't meshing with our flock. Then our friends flock started picking on her so bad that it would've ended badly for her so they rehomed her... Now she's on a farm being a mom to babies they had and she's loving her life!

Just know you did everything possible to accommodate them, but sometimes things don't work out for a reason :hugs

Thanks Everybody! I took them to their new home this morning, the lady has ducks, chickens, horses & goats!!! All of the animals look happy & healthy. She also has a huge pond, so I'm hoping everything does work out for them. As I was getting them out of the car I almost reconsidered letting them go but I knew it was for the best. My 1 female made a nest & I keep taking the eggs but she keeps sitting on the nest every morning with the new eggs in it ( she stays on the nest for awhile after I let them out ) so I'm hoping she will have some little ones for me!! Maybe that's why thinks didn't work out with Goose & Strawberry, everything happens for a reason!!!

Where in PA are you? I might be looking for a duck couple to habitat my empty coop. The coop needs to be re-vamped because I last had chickens in it but that just requires some new hardware cloth and a solid weekend.

Back
Top Bottom